586,113 active members*
3,468 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

TL-1 unloading

Is a forklift going to be all that is needed to unload a new TL-1 from the delivery truck? Or will something like a boom truck be needed?

Fork lift is needed. The TL1 is only around 3000 to 3500 lbs but because you need long forks to get under the pallet it is a good idea to get a machine capable of lifting 7000lbs and get fork extenders.

The fork extenders are also helpful for lifting the TL off the pallet. Just be careful you get the forks all the way under.

Once you have the TL1 off the pallet you can move it with a large pallet jack.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

You might ask if yours is coming on a pallet. Mine arrived, tightly wrapped in Haas plastic and the usual tarp, but there was no pallet. They forked it off the truck and the riggers had it in place in 20 minutes. Most of that was spent taking the plastic off.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
    ..... Mine arrived, tightly wrapped in Haas plastic and the usual tarp, but there was no pallet....
    That is interesting. When you look on the Haas website about shipping they mention 'domestic pallet' and give no indication that any machines are shipped sans pallet.

But you are close-ish, yes? Maybe they cheeped out.

Roll Back Tow Truck!

Call a local tow service with a roll back wrecker and have them pick it up and deliver to your location and slide at ~ in your door!

Purchase (4) 4' X 1" pipes a heavy wrecking bar and you in business no fork lift necessary!
    around $200.00 depending on mileage to from. Unless your in a wheelchair you can do it and its best you learn how anyway!
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JimPAC View Post
    Call a local tow service with a roll back wrecker and have them pick it up and deliver to your location and slide at ~ in your door!
    Did you check the pick-up and delivery locations? The $200 might seem reasonable but the mileage charge might be a killer.

Haas New?

I assumed this is a new machine and Haas should include delivery and dock load and load to his closest freight Co.

And depending on his access! Here in Wichita KS the Air Capital (130 plus machine shops)
    the roll back truck is common and most local towers know the drill. anything less than 8K Lbs
    and depending on foot print and these tow trucks can handle with ease.

Most machine deliveries around here are done this way regardless of size or type.

Anyway just an option.

Main thing is don't get hurt and don't scratch the paint!

See attached Pic of this 6000lb B/P mill

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BP Move.jpg   BP Move 2.jpg  

I assumed this is a new machine and Haas should include delivery and dock load and load to his closest freight Co...
    How many Haas machines have you bought. All my purchases have been FOB the Haas Shipping dock; I was responsible for the freight cost and unloading at my end. If they went to my Haas dealer I was still responsible for the freight but they did the unloading and they would load it on my carrier for final delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    But you are close-ish, yes? Maybe they cheeped out.
    Mine was built long before it was shipped, but then it was also a 'testing' machine at the factory. Maybe they never palletized it and held it for local sale?

Yes, I'm 99 miles from the factory. $600 gets it loaded at the factory and installed by professional riggers by 9:00 AM the next morning. That's convenient.
    Greg

I assumed this is a new machine and Haas should include delivery and dock load and load to his closest freight Co.

And depending on his access! Here in Wichita KS the Air Capital (130 plus machine shops)
    the roll back truck is common and most local towers know the drill. anything less than 8K Lbs
    and depending on foot print and these tow trucks can handle with ease.

Most machine deliveries around here are done this way regardless of size or type.

Anyway just an option.

Main thing is don't get hurt and don't scratch the paint!

See attached Pic of this 6000lb B/P mill

Jim
    As Geof says the quote that I got includes freight costs to my shop from Haas and an added $1,700 for rigging on my end. I can rent the equipment and get it off the truck for a lot cheaper than that. I just wanted to make sure I rent the right equipment. It is a wide open path for a forklift to go from the truck through a wide and tall roll up door right to the spot where it will sit.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I will rent a big forklift with long forks. Actually I called the local rental place which is only two buildings down from my shop and they said I can come fill out all the paperwork and take the machine but if I have the forklift back to them undamaged and within an hour they won't charge me at all. I can go for that deal.

Quote Originally Posted by hercules View Post
    .... added $1,700 for rigging on my end....
    That is a bit steep!!!

When I took delivery of a Haas GR510 I rented a 35,000 lb forklift and hired a rigger with skates for 4 hrs of labor at half that cost.

Most times we just rent a forklift for about $400 total, delivery and pick up included.