586,588 active members*
2,678 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cleaning up a grungy old machine

Greetings all,

I just picked up an old series I bridgeport mill. (my first ever, so call me a virgin,, I can take it)

Its quite filthy, and much of the paint is chipping off. Id like to give it a nice make over before I slide it in place.

If anyone has done this, would love some advice on this please.

Thanks,
    Ken J

If it is in that of a state, it probably has not seen much maintenance :tired:
    So first I would take care of the mechanical condition before the cosmetics.
    Like completely flush the lube lines and clean the lube pump and replace the oil metering devices, if it has these.
    For cleaning, try the cheap way first, while you have everything apart, try Varsol. if this does not work, you may have to try a Automotive Pre-wash, available at automotive paint stores.
    Use a good quality paint, Tremclad is one of the cheapest.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I've had good luck with a citrus based heavy duty professional cleaner from Ace hardware #1013325. The grease is easy it's that mist coolant stuff that is hard to remove. When cleaning the ways do as good a job as possible, remove the wipers, then move to one limit and clean again, move to other limit and clean again.

I then use Marvel Mystery oil or any high detergent light oil. Prime the ways, move to the other limit, prime again and keep going till it wipes clean, then work the way oil in in the same manner. As for the paint Acetone and Lacquer thinner will remove almost anything (including the oil in your hands, careful). I like to repaint with an epoxy base paint. Again be very careful the good stuff is a cyanide base, do it outside with a slight breeze, very toxic. Of course the best way is to completely disassemble.
    I used to be appalled, now I'm just amused.