586,377 active members*
2,643 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Wiring a Gecko Driver board
    The answer to you question depends of what software you plan to use. Most (all?) of them can be configured so that a choice of LPT pins can be used for step/direction etc. I would suggest you look at your software documentation and then choose what pins do what from there, then wire accordingly.

Eric
    I wish it wouldn't crash.

Wiring a Gecko Driver board

I hope someone has wired one of these up??

My question for now is this. How does the board connect to my computer?? I already see how to connect DC power and the stepper motor phases. There is a terminal called
    "disable" that must be for an emergency stop. Next, there is
    "DIR"; "STEP"; "common". Hopefully my computer connects to these terminals. Would like to run this from the printer port so I'll need to know which pins use for each axis.

My first CNC project used a Xylotex board which was real easy to hook up.

Thanks
    Jim

Even though you don't need an interface card to make the connections, it is nice to have one. There are two people that I know of that make them. One is Dan Mauch of Camtronics. And the other is a member of this board, Dean of Axxus Technologies. They both make a LPT board that is ready to connect to the step and direction pins. I kind of like Axxus's board. It cost a little more but he gives you a nice +5 Volt supply built on the board. You just need to get a 12 VDC wall wart from K-mart to connect it to the board. I just added this wall wart to my controller box and gave it power from the AC side of things.
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)
    http://www.homecnc.info

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I agree with homecnc but would add Jon Elson's universal board to the list. It has a step counter which can make your stepper system closed loop when used with any driver. It comes with the wall wart.
    http://pico-systems.com/univstep.html

How can I contact Axxus technologies??
    Jim
    www.outbackmachineshop.com

Hi Jim, information on my parallel interface can be found at www.members.shaw.ca/axxus

DB1V2.0 CNC Parallel Port Interface

Hi Dean;

Is that all I need? DB1V2.0 CNC Parallel Port Interface

This interface board connects the printer port to the Gecko drives?

Hmmmmm.....sounds simple enough and not real expensive either.

Jim

Jim, Take a look at my controller box that I have a picture of in the post called 'Building a CNC router'. It is located in the wood router section. On the first page I have a picture of my controller box. I am using Deans LPT interface card and it is connected to my three Gecko drives. This weekend I am connecting my Limit and Home switches to Deans interface card as well.
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)
    http://www.homecnc.info

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Axxus technology

The Axxus Technologies control board is on order. Thanks for everyones help. I'll be back with more questions in about a week.
    Jim

I'm working on my controller using Gecko drives, but I gonna hook them up directly. What do you think?

Directly as in cut the end off the parallel cable and hook it all up? If so that will work but doesnt provide for any inputs/outputs.

which pins?

How do you know which pins to connect the Gecko drives to?
    That was my oiginal question.

The Axxus control board should simplify the connections and make for a nice electrical panel. I also bought the cable for a remote connection (the side of the box) and the board with 2 relays. I also wish to work with inputs and outputs. My ultimate goal is to make my homebuilt Wire EDM, CNC controled
    Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnc mill#2.jpg  

The answer to you question depends of what software you plan to use. Most (all?) of them can be configured so that a choice of LPT pins can be used for step/direction etc. I would suggest you look at your software documentation and then choose what pins do what from there, then wire accordingly.

Eric