586,263 active members*
3,789 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Kernel Speed?

I got a message when I was setting up motor tuning that said something like "to fast for kernel speed of 25000."

Anyone know what this means I had my steps per set to about 222,000 and when I bumped it up to 250,000 I got that message.

The only thing that comes to mind is to half the resolution and step count?

Any input? Thanks

Smile

Bundypro,

The steps per direct relate to pulses so if you exceed 25,000 you exceed the default kernel speed.

See the attached .jpg

Choosing Kernel Speed
    The Mach3 driver can run at frequencies from 25,000 Hz (pulses per second) up to 100,000 Hz,
    depending on the speed of your processor and other loads placed on it when running Mach3.
    The frequency you need depends on the maximum pulse rate you need to drive any axis at its top
    speed. 25,000 Hz will probably be suitable for stepper motor systems. With a 10 micro-step driver
    such as a Gecko 201, you will get around 750 RPM from a standard 1.8 degree stepper motor with a
    25,000 Hz pulse rate. Higher pulse rates are needed to achieve desired motor RPM for servo drives that
    have high resolution shaft encoders on the motor. Further details are given in the section on motor tuning
    and in Section 4.4.2, Determining Axis Drive Requirements.
    Computers with a 1 GHz clock speed will almost certainly be able to run at 35,000 Hz, so you can
    choose this if you need a high step rate (for example, if you have very fine pitch lead screws).
    The demonstration version of Mach3 will run at 25,000 Hz only. In addition, if Mach3 is forcibly
    closed, then on re-start it will automatically revert to 25,000 Hz operation. The actual frequency of the
    running system is displayed on the standard Diagnostics screen.
    Click the box next to the desired kernel speed.
    Don't forget to click the Apply button before proceeding.

Jeff...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kernel Speed.JPG  

Jeff

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, what I basically figured out is that as long as I can see the whole "curve" on the motor tuning graph I won't get that message. So to compensate for the speed I lost I just 1/2'd the rsolution which seems to be more than enough.

Brian