587,008 active members*
3,387 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Threaded View

CarveOne's Work Table CNC Router Build

Hi everyone,

It's time for a new cnc router build for 2009! :banana:

This time around there will be no purchased plans, no intent to singlehandedly stop the world recession with my own expenditures, and no fancy technological tricks up my sleeve.

Just a sturdy 49" x 97" work table from my 2008 work shop build, some steel box tubing and some steel flat stock. Add eight of Ahren's bearing carriages, 1/2-10 5 start lead screws, four Gecko G203V drivers, and DumpsterCNC couplers and anti-backlash nuts. The Xylotex 425 oz/in steppers will be salvaged from my first build. A breakout board purchase will be needed eventually but is on hold for later in the build.

This build will not happen in a flurry of activity due to poor economic conditions that will dictate what I can purchase and when. By late summer I hope to have it running and will decommission the Solsylva 25x37 machine and it will be available for sale with the exception of the stepper motors and the Xylotex controller.

So, I have a plan and it looks like the drawing below. I hope it's readable. If not I'll try something else.

The work table legs (six 4" x 4") are not shown in the end view drawing. The x axis rails will be mounted into five table top supports with ten 1/2" x 10" long all-thread anchors on 16" centers. In between these main anchors will be provision for eight shorter anchors to be used only if they are needed for tweaking the straightness of the x axis rails. Everything will be made adjustable in some way. The work table will be made stiffer, leveled, made flat on top, and square in all directions before adjusting the x axis rails. Then I will start building up the gantry parts. After that I will build the z axis assembly. I have allowed for raising the gantry rail by replacing two box tubes if 8" height is not enough. I doubt it would ever need more than 10" for my purposes.

Raucous laughter and criticisms may begin now --

CarveOne
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC Router WorkTable.jpg  
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com