587,051 active members*
3,844 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 3 123

Which table would provide great technical support in Ontario, Canada?

Hi there - I'm absolutely new to this and have a few questions.
    I fell in love with all the lovely farm gate and ranch signs that the western states and provinces seem to have a-plenty, so I'm very seriously looking into getting into this line of work.

My current job ended September 27th and on the 28th I went to visit my local welder that had a plasma cutter and I loved it! I have absolutely no experience with this type of machinery but I want to do this. My next visit was to my local plasma cutter salesman and he can get me a Miller 375.

As for tables, well the Canadian dollar is doing very well right now, but as you know, technical support and high shipping costs are very important! So I came across the Tracker and was told by the sales rep in London Ontario about the new 4x4 Nitro. The price was $9995 CDN. The quote I got from PlasmaCam was 8950 US and Torchmate was 7ish plus a the height controller (sorry don't know all the proper names for the parts of the machine or table yet!).

So if anyone wants to tell me I shouldn't do this please go ahead I know that at the age of 48 and being a woman, starting something new like this is usually frowned upon. But I just feel that this is something that I can make a living at and I would appreciate any input regarding a table that I could get that isn't shipped from the US. Are there any other hobby type tables in Eastern Canada?

thanks,
    MetalMomma

Tracker's tables are really well built, very solid. Justin in there tech support department was very helpfull during setup and very willing to help and solve all my problems. I really love the automatic torch height control and the 3 year warranty that comes with the machine.

After doing all of my research prior to buying a tracker unit, it seems like all the other tables were a la carte when tracker gave you everything built in. Software is decent, could be better but was good for what I needed to do.

CNC Plasma Cutting Tables - Tracker CNC Website

Having owned a Tracker POS, run as far away from them as possable. The software and control board are garbage. When pointing out the flaws all we got told was the problems were "operator error." I'm sorry but when you can physicaly see the software plotting away from the actual part that becomes software error not operator. Could fill a whole page just of things that went wrong in the first year. After retrofitting the machine with all new innerds and software it works sooooo much better, not to mention physically redesigning the machine to get better then 1/8" tolerances.

RUN AWAY!!!! There has to be better out there then those POS.

Having a few hundred hours on our Tracker CNC table I have yet to have any problems with it that were not due to normal wear and tear. It's been a learning experience as I have had no experience with this industry before creating this business from 'basement' to full blown fabrication shop.

I just discovered this newsgroup again after not being on here for 6 years. I now have trouble reading things as mentioned from Torchhead as he is very biased and has his only interest as to direct customers to his products so he is obviously very biased.

My TrackerCNC table works very well, though an older model now, and I get all of the support I need anytime I call in to Justin or Reid or Ken. i think of upgrades or changes (and have made some to the ventilation situation many times). But the table has worked great and continues to do what is asked of it.

As far as the mention of problems with the table not being accurate in less than a 1/8". It's a plasma table....not waterjet or laser. I can get a cut more accurate than 1/8", but the table was not made for it because it's a plasma cutting system. Not because it's a TrackerCNC.

P C D,

Not to worry! On forums as this you have to consider the source. If you look at the three posts made by cheech996 you will notice he only has one speed. Often it does the opposite. For instance, I now know more about Tracker machines than I did before his posts.

Often times companies have to work through that troublesome customer. Remember that sign that used to be common in businesses? "We reserve the right to refuse service" If there was only some type of meter or gauge to let a business know before hand the risk.........HUMMMM, anyone have any ideas?

WSS
    www.metaltechus.com

When it comes to Tracker you bet I only have one speed. The same speed any person would have who shelled out the money for a machine they were told would work with a 30 thou tollerance yet never came close. Not only tolerances, but the machine at times would make parts not even as drawn. We got some of the lamest excuses as to why the machine behaved like it did (someone down the road may be doing sonic welding was one). Funny, but when all electronics and software were replaced we never saw these problems again. I'm here to warn people of this machine, not to start an arguement.

Memex

Quote Originally Posted by cheech669 View Post
    . problems again.
    cheech669. OT, here is the PDF I have.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Page 3 of 3 123