586,423 active members*
2,826 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Tram a bed mill?

The spindle on my 760/22 is slightly out of square to the X & Y travels. It’s not a lot but leaves an annoying little step when facing with a 5” face mill.

Has anyone ever adjusted this? Is there an way to re-square the spindle of a bed mill?

George?

Two ways to do this. The hard way is to rscrape the bottom of the head so the spindle fits in such a way that it is square to the table.
    When we installed these machines, we used the back 4 leveling screws to adjust the column to the table so the spindle was square to the table.
    Try that first.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks George. I will try the leveling screws.
    I'm thinking it's time for a little gib adjustment on the Z as well. I've noticed a little (0.0003") movement on my indicator when moving the Z up and down.
    Any words of wisdom on Z axis gibs?

The Z axis is difficult. I recently was called in to see why a customer was losing his finish on a Daewoo VMC. X and y checked out great.
    Using a pile of indicators and a bottle jack, I determined that the z was rocking side to side but not front to back. We are talking less than a thou side to side.
    This gib had a spacer that I had to grind down to get it to where I wanted it. The trick is not to get it too tight.
    Assembling CNC horizontal boring mills is a chore! Takes me about 5 weeks. Makes a VMC look easy. And the customers expect these to be square within a few tenths of a thou too.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)