586,912 active members*
3,500 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

A life other than CNC.

What else do I do other than CNC and reading the post on the Zone.

I am involved in a mentor program that deals with ex drug addicts and trying to bring stability into their lives. See here http://www.wiseemployment.com.au/new...250_19996.html

This has been very a rewarding excercise for me, and my mentoree.
    We have both learnt many things from each other.

It seems strange that not that long ago I would not have believed I would be doing a radio interview, and featuring in a 2 page new paper artical.

At first I didnt feel like was good enough to do the mentoring program, but I felt that while I know I cant change the world, and solve its problems, I could make a small difference to someone elses life. I believe if every one did just a little bit to help another person, then the world would be changed to a better place. Its a team effort though.

Why am I posting this in a CNC forum? I dont really know, other than to show you a little more of what I am on about, and to hopefully encourage you to participate a few hour in your life per week, in a totally different activity that helps people.

Why dont you post in this thread some of your non CNC activities ?
    Being outside the square !!!

Benny I find this very commendable as well as refreshing. as I see the world, it is getting more and more so self focused. I do not believe we were put on this planet to only be self serving, whether it is our time, our finances, our abilities or a combination of all three giving back, helping others, sharing is what will make for a much better world.

Thumbs up to ya !

Ken

Benny I somehow feel odd posting here since reading your last post in the Aussie forum. I somehow wonder if this post and your last are related?

As you know through private email my tag line tells a lot about who I am. I am an ordained Free Will Baptist minister that over the years has been involved in many peoples lives. I have counseled those who faced everything from divorce to death to suicide. I know for a fact people appreciate the effort that is put forth to help.

I applaud your compassion for those who need care. So many times we let opportunities to help pass right by and we never see them. The past three years have been very rough for me and my family and I can tell you that a caring person does make a difference when someone is going through troubles and trials. I know...I have a friend who has stood by my side for the past two years and refused to allow me to give up. His name is Bill but it could just as easily been Benny! Blessings to you and your family.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

AMEN, Benny keep up that fine work!
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Benny and Mike:

I can only hope you might still happen to read this, as I feel badly I didn't stumble across this thread sooner. (Since I'm not an Aussie, I don't frequent this part of the forum)

As my signature Implies, I'm a recovering Alcoholic and Drug Addict. I've been clean and Sober for a little over seven years. I've also been unemployed (Earning My first Engineering degree) for a little over two years. This free time has enabled me to spend a great deal of time in the recovering comunity helping newcomers. I probably spend close to 40 hours a week with people who are just starting on a path to sobriety. This work, though completely un-paid, is the most rewarding work I have ever done, and I suspect it will be the most rewarding work I will ever do. If I could find a way to pay the utility bills and the property taxes, I would take a "vow of poverty" and continue this for the rest of my life. It also keeps me sober.

I have found that Anger, Hatred, Resentment, Fear, and Selfishness CANNOT exist in a heart that contains even the slightest amount of GRATITUDE. They just can't co-exist in the same place.

When you guys are helping others like has been said here, you are being part of the solution. You are helping others to "Live In The Solution".

Even though you guys may be doing this half a world away from where I am, I am grateful for it. Whenever an addict or alcoholic reaches out, I am responsible to be there. And whenever someone else helps those reaching out, no matter where they are, I am gratefull.

Thanks Benny and Thanks Mike
    Patrick;
    The Sober Pollock

It sometimes makes me wonder why us humans always have to rush through life. We don't have time for our loved ones, thinking that if we work harder we will have more money to "spoil" them.

In 1996 my wife (to be then) invited me to a youth camp. You can call it "Youth for Christ" if you like. This camp opened my eyes, i realised that there are abused children everywhere. Children seeking that Higher existence in life.

I agree with Benny. I have learnt as much about my Creator as I have taught others.......

Klox
    *** KloX ***
    I'm lazy, I'm only "sparking" when the EDM is running....

Patrick,

Thank you for your kind words. Although it may seem like it from my post i am not from the great country of Down Under! I am from the US and in particular the state of Arkansas.

It thrills me to see someone as yourself say publicly "it can be done".
    I am actually concerned about our ynneb because of his post about not being back here for a while. He didn't want to share what it was but I want him to know if he is reading any of these that if you need an ear mine are available and I would bet you there are plenty of others that are too.
    Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.