586,096 active members*
3,861 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > What's the finish they put on aluminum fire truck control panels?
Page 1 of 2 12

What's the finish they put on aluminum fire truck control panels?

I was watching a show on TV, I think it was "how its made". Anyway, they were cutting an aluminum panel that was going to hold a bunch of switches and gauges. They put a finish on the aluminum that looked like a bunch of overlapping circles.

What is that finish called? I thought it was "engine turned" or something? Of course when I google "engine turn aluminum" I get all sorts of links about maching AL on an engine lathe

I have a trade show coming and I want to machine some fixtures in aluminum. They always get beat up so I figured a nice coarse turned finish like that would look OK even after being scratched. But how to achieve it? It looks like it was done with something like a wire wheel or maybe a sanding disc, either in a hand drill or maybe using an angle grinder?

I'm sure someone knows what I'm talking about - any pointers?

Any chance of some pictures? That might help.

Mike

Mike,

Here's the "How It's Made" segment that shows that. It's 2:30 into the video.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnPRje1khIU"]YouTube - How It's Made Fire Apparatus[/ame]

Hi Mike,

Here is the only pic I could find
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EngineTurn1.JPG  

i don't know what they call the finish but i think it is done with an orbital sander...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pumperbody.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by LinearMotionFan View Post
    Mike,

Here's the "How It's Made" segment that shows that. It's 2:30 into the video.

YouTube - How It's Made Fire Apparatus
    Bam! That's it! Thanks so much! .. oh man, I was searching forever it seemed and you go and find it in minutes! Awesome - looks like a sander it is - that's precisely the finish I am trying to achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by Hennessy View Post
    i don't know what they call the finish but i think it is done with an orbital sander...
    Yup, that's it too - I found some sites mentioning using a wooden dowel but they were talking about a jewelers finish and it would take hours with all the parts I'd need to do.... I wasn't sure the best tool but from the pics and video, it looks like an orbital sander and just regular sanding pads will be perfect.

Thanks guys!

I believe the circular pattern is referred to as "engine turned pattern". Didn't trust my memory (with good reason) so I checked. For your reference:

http://ornamentalturning.net/craft/

Quote Originally Posted by Hennessy View Post
    I have a feeling that an orbital sander will give 'fuzzy' circles; try it with a simple rotating disc using a soft backing behind the abrasive.

I have done a very similar thing on a much smaller scale using a pencil eraser and grinding past with the pencil mounted in a drill press.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

"engine turning", it's done with a drill or a drill press, high speed, scotch-brite pads or sandpaper. Simply spin the abrisive wheel about 1000 rpm and press down, move have the diameter to the right, press again and repeat. At the end of the row, move down half the diameter and start over making sure you stay linear for the true "engine turned" look. (vary step over and alignment to preference)

It's old hot rod stuff. You'll see a lot of firewalls in custom cars with the same finish. Don't know where it originated, but from my experience, that's where it's most popular, that at fire trucks! lol

We used to do the same thing (with a much smaller rotating disc) to rifle bolts. It was called jewelling. I used to have a tool that held a small (approx. 1/4" diameter) abrasive imbedded rubber piece that was pressed against the bolt. I may still have something similar for my Foredom.

Alan

I was thinking it would be very easy to do on a cnc mill or router, just like in the drill press only you can program in the spacing and let it do the hard work for you.

Shannon.

Quote Originally Posted by Big S View Post
    I was thinking it would be very easy to do on a cnc mill or router, just like in the drill press only you can program in the spacing and let it do the hard work for you.

Shannon.
    With a spring loaded tool to garantee even pressure, it would work perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by mc-motorsports View Post
    With a spring loaded tool to garantee even pressure, it would work perfect!
    Excellent idea, you may find that a scouring pad based tool has enough inbuilt 'spring' that it would give the correct finish.

BTW I may actually be doing this sort of finish on my CNC at some stage, my father has already asked about doing something similar on an aluminium frame.

Shannon.

I have done this on my cnc useing a a flat pad sander used for auto body work
    I'm not lazy..., I'm efficient!
    HAAS GR-408

Hi!

And when it is done, what shall we do to protect this shiny sanded surface?
    Any clear spray coat or just leave it bare?

Mitja

clear anodizing would be a good one
    HAAS GR-408

Google search: Engine Turning
    You can always spot the pioneers -- They're the ones with the arrows in their backs.

something worth watching
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf5dqUIT-eo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf5dqUIT-eo[/ame]
    HAAS GR-408

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    I have a feeling that an orbital sander will give 'fuzzy' circles; try it with a simple rotating disc using a soft backing behind the abrasive.

I have done a very similar thing on a much smaller scale using a pencil eraser and grinding past with the pencil mounted in a drill press.
    I use a Dual Action Sander on aluminum alot. Geof is right, you wont get an engine turn. Instead of straight down and stepping over,just sand the part like you would a board or anything else. If your just trying to hide scratches, this works great, is much simpler to do and much less time consuming.
    I use 80 - 100 grit paper with little or no pressure to just put an even pattern on it.
    Engine turning looks fancier, but if uneven it looks "Hack"!
    I hate deburring.....
    Lets go (insert favorite hobby here)

Page 1 of 2 12