586,401 active members*
2,760 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > News Announcements > Floppy Disk Drive USB Reader Upgrade
Page 1 of 2 12

Floppy Disk Drive USB Reader Upgrade

Upgrade that old 3 1/2 floppy disk drive on your machine to a new USB Reader!!!

http://plrelectronics.com/floppy_to_usb.php

Thanks

What is the system requirement, if any, does it work in DOS?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Requirements

Theoretically, it should work in any device that uses the IBM type floppy drives. In other words, if you can replace you existing drive with any standard drive then this should also work.

Its a Plug-And-Play device so, you should need to do anything.

Will replace your older machines that still relay on old, slow, out of date floppys.

Thank you for the sharinG!~

http://www.usfine.com
    To be or to http://www.usfine.com?

Holy cow, they are going to sell truckloads of these things. I need to order one right after Christmas.
    Greg

What sort of volume discount are you willing to give?
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    What sort of volume discount are you willing to give?
    There goes the first truckload.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
    I would make sure it works

I had anilam machine I tried this with and it didn't work ...

Quote Originally Posted by kojack View Post
    I would make sure it works

I had anilam machine I tried this with and it didn't work ...

Let me reword that .. The computer didnt like the large files

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
    I may postpone the purchase for a while; about nine months ago I went out and bought a 100 floppies because they are getting hard to find. So long as we have one computer in the building with a floppy drive we can survive.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Well, the site does say that it's guaranteed to work. I've also got a bunch of floppies but I'm getting tired of plugging in the external floppy drive, moving the files, carrying them to the machine, etc.

With USB, I tend to save the files right to the drive rather than transferring after the fact. It saves a few steps.

I'm curious what the Haas control would do with a file larger than 1.4 MB. I also wonder if this would work in DNC mode. I haven't tried to DNC from a floppy but in theory: if a floppy can do it, this should work too.
    Greg

Floppy Drive

If for any reason it doesn't work or, if you have doubts you can always send us your existing floppy drive (working or not working - preferably working) and we can determine the differences.

Quote Originally Posted by PLRElectronics View Post
    If for any reason it doesn't work or, if you have doubts you can always send us your existing floppy drive (working or not working - preferably working) and we can determine the differences.
    I suspect any incompatibility will be with the operating system, Bios etc, rather than with the floppy drive itself.
    The only other thing is the cable address system.
    IBM screwed up the original concept design of addressing four floppies on one cable.
    Why they came up with that stupid twisted cable has always been beyond me.
    The original design was to have on board addressing, just as H.D.s have today, so it was not necessary.
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    I suspect any incompatibility will be with the operating system, Bios etc, rather than with the floppy drive itself.
    The only other thing is the cable address system.
    IBM screwed up the original concept design of addressing four floppies on one cable.
    Why they came up with that stupid twisted cable has always been beyond me.
    The original design was to have on board addressing, just as H.D.s have today, so it was not necessary.
    Al.
    Yes, correct. If there are any incompatibilities it is typically because the OS, Bios, etc are looking for something else as you said. However, you can usually trick the bios just by making changes on existing drives. For example, some systems start by numbering the first drive as 0 whereas other systems start at 1. On several drives this is just a jumper setting but on some drives, you pysically have the change the drive internally to get it to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    I may postpone the purchase for a while; about nine months ago I went out and bought a 100 floppies because they are getting hard to find. So long as we have one computer in the building with a floppy drive we can survive.

Ebay! I bough 100 floppies for $25 shipped a while back. My machine tends to eat them, eventually it says "this disk is not formatted, would you like to format now" which means it's junk.

I used to get them at the local Radio Shack at $12 for 6 of them...

Question

I wonder...

One machine we have has its control in a industrial sealed 19" rack cabnet. The control is VME chassis based and it has a "card" with dual HH 3.5" 720K floppy drives which plug into the VME backplane via adaptor card.

The system O/S and control program load from EPROM and have support for all DOS floppy combos as well as some hard disks. The system never had an internal hard drive. As it is using floppies has limited the largest program file size.

Could this drive be a viable option?

I had one instance of a Fagor system customer complaining he could not write to his floppies anymore.
    I asked him to make sure he had the write enable tab covered.
    It turned out he had just purchased a box of cheap translucent coloured floppies and the tab was also translucent, this particular drive detected it as un-covered.
    Something to watch for.
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by skullworks View Post
    I wonder...

One machine we have has its control in a industrial sealed 19" rack cabnet. The control is VME chassis based and it has a "card" with dual HH 3.5" 720K floppy drives which plug into the VME backplane via adaptor card.

The system O/S and control program load from EPROM and have support for all DOS floppy combos as well as some hard disks. The system never had an internal hard drive. As it is using floppies has limited the largest program file size.

Could this drive be a viable option?
    It should work. As for the file sizes, this is controlled by the machines software so, i don't know fit it will allow anything larger than 720k as the file size but, since it was designed to work with a HD, i would almost think that file size shouldn't really be a problem.

So your product photo shows an Ethernet interface too - how does that work?

-James

MANUAL in PDF

Hello,

I have posted the PDF manual on our site.

To view it please go to http://www.plrelectronics.com/floppy_to_usb.php

It will be near the bottom.

THANKS!!!!!!!
    3 ½ floppy drive to USB flash drive reader upgrade
    Electronics Circuit Board Repairs and Design

Page 1 of 2 12