586,898 active members*
3,847 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Lead In Lead out Speed Problem

Lead In Lead out Speed Problem

Ok so I'm new to masterCAM as some of you might know. I'm using X3. I was wondering if anyone could help me trouble shooting my contour problem. I know of one solution but there must be a better way. So I draw a line for the contour I want, set up my tool blah blah blah. Now the feed that is used to make the cut of my contour is the same feed used on the lead in lead out path. I thought I could fix this by using the Over Ride Feedrate Option in Contour Parameters and Adjust the length of the contour to be longer by at least half my cutter diameter so i wouldn't smash into my part. I did all this but as some of you might expect my cutter moves at the overriden feed rate on the lengthened portion of the contour. Now I know I could just draw a longer line for my contour so this doens't happen but is there a better way to correct this?
    -JWB
    --We Ain't Building Pianos (TCNJ Baja 2008)

Not sure I understand the question JWB, you could increase the lead in length with the lead in tab in the cut parameters page (no need to extend the contour line length) Do you want the feedrate for the XY leadin to be different from the contour cut feedrate?

Quote Originally Posted by JWB_Machining View Post
    Ok so I'm new to masterCAM as some of you might know. I'm using X3. I was wondering if anyone could help me trouble shooting my contour problem. I know of one solution but there must be a better way. So I draw a line for the contour I want, set up my tool blah blah blah. Now the feed that is used to make the cut of my contour is the same feed used on the lead in lead out path. I thought I could fix this by using the Over Ride Feedrate Option in Contour Parameters and Adjust the length of the contour to be longer by at least half my cutter diameter so i wouldn't smash into my part. I did all this but as some of you might expect my cutter moves at the overriden feed rate on the lengthened portion of the contour. Now I know I could just draw a longer line for my contour so this doens't happen but is there a better way to correct this?
    If you adjusted the length of the line using Lead in/out,there's no way to change the feed.You have to make a longer tool path.
    Stefan Vendin

Mitsui Thanks. But Degmc yeah I want my Lead in/out speed to be different from my contour feed. I can do that with the Feed Over Ride under the lead in/out menu but when I lengthen the contour under that menu the cutter still moves at the higher feed when on the extended portion. I guess the solution really is just drawing a longer contour. Thanks for the help.
    -JWB

I dont know what your talking about. On the Lead in/out parameters I changed the feedrate (override feedrate) and in the posted code the feed for the Line/Arc move I did was exactly what I programmed.

I'm running X3 if that helps.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

Yes, I get that to work, but the overridden feedrate also ends up applying to my extended contour, I was trying to overcome this without having to draw a longer contour and changing the code.
    -JWB