586,667 active members*
3,576 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

View Poll Results: Would you employ a Job Corp student?

Voters
289. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO! I have & it was a bad idea.

13 4.50%
  • No, I have heard to many bad things about them.

19 6.57%
  • Yes, I probably would if they seemed employable.

45 15.57%
  • Maybe, It really just depends on the person & the need.

50 17.30%
  • A what? What is this job corp thing?

162 56.06%

Thread: Job Corp?

Page 1 of 2 12

Job Corp?

I'm a student from a Job Corp in utah. I took the machine shop and graduated top of my class. I then started searching for a job. I found my self asking for so very little to do work I was trained in. I hear people talk rather negatively about many Job Corp students and the whole Job Corp program in general. I would like to know what many people think? have you yourself been there or know someone who has? Or, have you ever employed a student from job corp?

What's a Job Corp? Never heard of it.

I'm assuming that it's a US thingy? like a training scheme for those who have approached employment through an unconventional route?

If that's the case then I would certainly employ someone like that, I think it shows initiative and a "self starting" attitude.
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

For those you out there that are scratching their heads (as I was... lol), here is a little bit of information about Job Corps
    To me it sounds like a decent opportunity for younger people to get into the manufacturing field.

ImanCarrot, when I do hiring, I look at the persons skills. It doesnt matter to me where they got them as long as they can do the job.

Thefixeruper
    I am also in Utah and would absolutely consider employing a job corp grad

Robert

My ex Father inlaw was a Job Corp counseler. Typically Job Corps students are troubled teens, often criminal teens, many are there because it was the alternative to jail. Construction trades, manufacturing trades being taught to the students as a boost into becoming contributing members of society. I know the web sites and commercials make it sound like a trade school. But in reality most of the job corps sites are tightly locked down and full of criminals.... Which really sucks for the good kids who are legitimately there to learn a trade.

I can see where some would associate Job Corps as being a questionable way to find employees.
    Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by anoel View Post
    My ex Father inlaw was a Job Corp counseler. Typically Job Corps students are troubled teens, often criminal teens, many are there because it was the alternative to jail.
    I was no angel as a teenager, in fact far from it. Were you? (And in my experience Machinists in general are no angels

As an alternative to jail, I don't think I could think of a better alternative.

Robert

Jobcorps

I did my cnc training at camp gary in san marcoss tx. at that time both the manual and cnc were the best for that type learning next to the tool and die school in south carolina that was state vocational - we had D.O.L come in and give us the same test that D.O.D gives or had given military branches that had machinest courses - we had 25 lathe about 6 mills 4 horz. mills anything and everything and south bend projects BUT you also had the same asses that you had in high school shop class to- not their to learn.It use to mean something to be a machinist - but most times you come across the " i just run lathes" or mills
    Real machinist use to do everything and could do anything and build anything

6 months in the books
    1 month to grind tools
    no mics
    no 3 jaw chucks
    vernieers and 4 jaws
    the rest came when your do your part to print-
    good program to those who took advantage

One last thing

http://clearfield.jobcorps.gov/stude...TAR_7.2.07.pdf
    this is what you learned near the middle and end

Except for no welding on the list, it looks like a good set of basic skills and knowledge. I don't own a business, but think that'd get me in the door of one. It's saddening that our High Schools no longer teach this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWild View Post
    It's saddening that our High Schools no longer teach this stuff.
    youve got that right , the only two things that kept me in school was shop classes and the threat of getting killed by the ol man(chair)

other than broken homes or the usual obvious stuff , one of the problems for some kids is the fact many of them are bright and don't necessarily think the way the rest of "society " does . One of the latest greatest cures for this way of thinking is ritalin and turn them into vegtables , rather than identifying minds that need to be stimulated and challenged on their level .

this job corp sounds like a nobel cause and judging by the pdf respect and working along well with others is a large part of the marks , which will thin out a lot of the kids who are there because they have to be , from the ones who are there because they want to be

most hellraisers will mature but some are outright rotten
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

I used to teach Machine Tool at the Job Corps Facility in Bangor, Maine. They had a fully operational Machine Shop with real lessons, books and videos. They even had a small cnc mill (table top) that really worked. It was a good experience for me and for the kids that were there. Yeah some of them are troubled youth and come from broken homes but I could relate to that as I grew up with no parents and ran away from the Childrens home I was in and never compleated high school. But I got a job out of the Navy in a machine shop and rose up through the ranks to supervisor in just 5 years. After I had about 20 years experience as a machinist I got the job corps instructor position. I never once called Security on my students I could handle them fine. Some got jobs at General Electric and other machine shops in maine. We worked with local businessess to get the students into the shops for half a day so they could get the real experience. The kids are not the problem. I found it was the system as they play a numbers game there. If the student enrollment is down the funding is cut so they have to keep the classes full in order to get the money from the government. The staff at these places seem to care more about their own future and jobs than about the students. That's really sad and why I got out of it.

Unhappy

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT, 3 TIMES. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!

I've had two of them...I'll never do it again.

I think tha the ones that are going to make something of themselves will ome in off the streets with a willing to learn application. Most of these job corp kids are trouble makers sent ther by their probation officers. They didn't earn anything that I could see. As I said, I've only had two, but after that, I'd reccomend leaving that off of your appliction if you come in to my shop.

Quote Originally Posted by extsuba View Post
    I did my cnc training at camp gary in san marcoss tx. at that time both the manual and cnc were the best for that type learning next to the tool and die school in south carolina that was state vocational - we had D.O.L come in and give us the same test that D.O.D gives or had given military branches that had machinest courses - we had 25 lathe about 6 mills 4 horz. mills anything and everything and south bend projects BUT you also had the same asses that you had in high school shop class to- not their to learn.It use to mean something to be a machinist - but most times you come across the " i just run lathes" or mills
    Real machinist use to do everything and could do anything and build anything

6 months in the books
    1 month to grind tools
    no mics
    no 3 jaw chucks
    vernieers and 4 jaws
    the rest came when your do your part to print-
    good program to those who took advantage

Holy crap !!! man that's a blast from the past ... I was there in the early 90's

I practically built the CNC shop

is costa still there and did pops finally die?

I grew up outside of Kansas City, MO - next to Exclesior Springs where they had a Job Corps. I didn't know anyone that got involved in it until I was on down the road in the Army and we did a public service project with the Job Corps - in of all places Excelsior Springs. Then I met again people I did know and that I knew had been wasting their abilities.
    I think this is one good use of our tax dollars, and support it wholeheartedly. I would definitely consider a graduate of the program for hire, but I would review their character and success in learning as disclosed by their mentors in Job Corps carefully. There are still a lot of outright losers in the program just as their are good kids trying to get ahead. If you get down to it, hiring from the Job Corps is no different than hiring from the regular population - you get all types and it takes some learning about people to weed your way through to find the good ones.
    M2C,
    John B

You can tell a lot about a person by giving them a couple of files and a hunk of metal.

It's saddening that our High Schools no longer teach this stuff.
    What is worse IMPO is going to a job to interview with a human resource rep that has no clue as to what a machinist is or does.

There is a serious lack of knowledge for Skilled Labor Trades.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by SlimJim View Post
    You can tell a lot about a person by giving them a couple of files and a hunk of metal.
    Better yet grab a few old files and tell them to clean the files. There is no reason to waste any material, LOL.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

..... It's saddening that our High Schools no longer teach this stuff....
    Many schools systems know that you can't teach a kid to make a chair or a bird house anymore...

About 3 month ago I received an e-mail from the local high school asking me if I knew anyone in the area that could help them with a Tormach machine they had bought...Whereas I am an Independent Consultant for Tormach and live about 5 miles from the school I agreed to help...I have Boston listed as my address...but that is not where I am from

In the last few month I have been able to solicit donations for the school that included about $2500 in new tooling from Starrett. They donated a set of 0-6" .0001 mic in a cherry case and a bunch of other stuff...From Bobcad users they donated to the school 18 seats of seat of V19-V21 bobcad...Bobcad upgraded all seat to V21 and added 18 seats of Bobart Pro-X and Bobnest...I have also received tooling and materials from about 10 shops and companies in my area...The one thing every one said is this type of training is needed...

I just came back from the school and the first part of their Robot is made...

Some people learn better with hands on than all textual. Puplic school bores the really creative and smart energetic or call it ADD no fit for them. This work is a good trade been making cutting tools for twenty years never been out of work long. good luck

Page 1 of 2 12