586,780 active members*
5,935 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

linear Toolpath

Hey,

can anyone please tell if solidcam has an option to create a arc to a bunch of lines to make it similar to arc (Arc has 3 points, i would like to describe an arc wit for example 200 points, and the moves are linear(lines)).

I'm using a 3 axes mill.

my version of solidcam is 2008.

Or do i have to make this in SolidWorks? I dont know how to do this in either one of them.

Hope you get the point.

Tnx

Jaby

Quote Originally Posted by Jaby View Post
    can anyone please tell if solidcam has an option to create a arc to a bunch of lines to make it similar to arc (Arc has 3 points, i would like to describe an arc wit for example 200 points, and the moves are linear(lines)).
    What are you trying to do? Is this a 2D geometry such as a circular pocket. If it is a 3D geometry, then SolidCAM will do it automatically and you control the number of points using the surface tolerance. If it is a 2D geometry, use a 3D milling job on constant Z and have a big step down but make sure arc approximation is turned off.

I have a writting "TEST" (2D geo), where "S" consists of arcs. My z-coord is constant. I was trying to write "S" with lines(not arcs).

My solution is, that i changed my maschine.mac file and turn off arcs.

If i try your solution, how can i turn arc approximation off? Is this what i did (turn it off in .mac) or, is there any other way?

Tnx

For what you are trying to do i.e. force 2D geometry arcs into lines, then the Mac is the only way. However, you might be able create a job variable called "force_arcs" that the post could pick up and do the job for you. This depends if the arcs/lines thing can be manipulated once the post is initiated.

Thanks for all the help.

Regards

Jaby

Another possibilty would be to select "point to point" option when selecting the geometry, instead of the "curve" option. That's a lot of point to pick, but it could be done I suppose.

I use this option if I want to jump a gap on the solid model, when there's no sketched geometry in SW.