586,598 active members*
3,543 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Which Gecko drive for Xylotex 425oz/in bipolar parallel?

Which Gecko drive for Xylotex 425oz/in bipolar parallel?

Moved from I need EXTREME help with 540 and Eletronics! Please!!!!!! for additional discussion.

Mike,

I think the G210 will be the best drive for getting the most out of these steppers and was asking Mariss to make the call for me, or make another suggestion. The G210 costs more but should impose no voltage/current limitations on these steppers. (And they are on sale.)

My steppers are currently working ok with the Xylotex 3 axis driver board, which I want to replace with Gecko drives for my second build, which will be a steel frame machine that will be roughly a 4' x 6' overall size. As I mentioned I want to run the steppers in bipolar parallel mode with a higher voltage power supply.

My Xylotex 425 oz/in stepper motors do not have wire colors that match the Xylotex Motor Wiring document. The document I have shows:

XB# = Green-Black (solid color wires)
    XB = Green/White-Black/White (colors with white stripe)
    XA# = Blue-Red (solid color wires)
    XA = Blue/White-Red/White (colors with white stripe)

My motors have the following solid color wires with no stripes:

Yellow
    Blue
    Brown
    Orange
    Green
    White
    Black
    Red

Xylotex told me to:

Connect Yellow and Blue together and insulate.
    Connect Brown and Orange together and insulate.
    A = Green
    A# = White
    B = Black
    B# = Red.

In the document for the Xylotex 3 axis drive board there is a wiring diagram that shows A, A#, B, B# but it shows no corresponding wire color for each. Without that color correlation I can't determine if they told me to wire it parallel or series coils. I can tell by just measuring the coil resistance if it is wired parallel or series. The EMC2 wiki has a procedure to determine with an ohmmeter which color represents which coil lead.

I'll do the measurements today or tomorrow.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Quote Originally Posted by CarveOne View Post
    Moved from I need EXTREME help with 540 and Eletronics! Please!!!!!! for additional discussion.

Mike,

I think the G210 will be the best drive for getting the most out of these steppers and was asking Mariss to make the call for me, or make another suggestion. The G210 costs more but should impose no voltage/current limitations on these steppers. (And they are on sale.)

My steppers are currently working ok with the Xylotex 3 axis driver board, which I want to replace with Gecko drives for my second build, which will be a steel frame machine that will be roughly a 4' x 6' overall size. As I mentioned I want to run the steppers in bipolar parallel mode with a higher voltage power supply.

My Xylotex 425 oz/in stepper motors do not have wire colors that match the Xylotex Motor Wiring document. The document I have shows:

XB# = Green-Black (solid color wires)
    XB = Green/White-Black/White (colors with white stripe)
    XA# = Blue-Red (solid color wires)
    XA = Blue/White-Red/White (colors with white stripe)

My motors have the following solid color wires with no stripes:

Yellow
    Blue
    Brown
    Orange
    Green
    White
    Black
    Red

Xylotex told me to:

Connect Yellow and Blue together and insulate.
    Connect Brown and Orange together and insulate.
    A = Green
    A# = White
    B = Black
    B# = Red.

In the document for the Xylotex 3 axis drive board there is a wiring diagram that shows A, A#, B, B# but it shows no corresponding wire color for each. Without that color correlation I can't determine if they told me to wire it parallel or series coils. I can tell by just measuring the coil resistance if it is wired parallel or series. The EMC2 wiki has a procedure to determine with an ohmmeter which color represents which coil lead.

I'll do the measurements today or tomorrow.

CarveOne
    Looks like they told you to wire it in series.
    Parallel would be 4 groups of two wires each.

My 425 motors are from Keling and have the same wiring as in the first group
    and they are in 4 groups of two. 2.8 amps in parallel and 1.6 amps in series.

Yes, if you are looking for max speed from these motors, which I believe based on their inductance, if I remember correctly to be about 82v max, the g210 or 203v will allow you to run it a max or near max voltage.

I like the g203v because they are almost imune to you wiring it incorrectly and they morph from microstep to full step on the fly. This means you will get the best performance possible.

There is a nice little pdf file on how the 203v gets the most from your drive on the gecko website.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

It looks like Xylotex told me to wire it series mode due to their board not being able to supply 5a/phase. I thought all this time that it was wired parallel mode.

Looks like the G203V is the one I should get then. There is some mention of the G203V timing settings in the EMC2 wiki. I'll wait a day or two for any other comments before ordering them.

Thanks Mike,

CarveOne
    CarveOne

I disconnected one of my stepper motors this afternoon and confirmed that it is wired as bipolar series.

Wire pairs for each winding is as follows:

Green & Brown (A)
    Orange & White (A#)
    Black & Blue (B)
    Yellow & Red (B#)

I now have the bipolar parallel wiring color mapping figured out for use when the rewiring is done on the next machine build using Gecko drives.

Now to get those G203V drives on order...

CarveOne
    CarveOne

Three G203v drives were ordered online this morning after I read the FAQ link Gecko website's homepage. I somehow had missed seeing that until now.

So the wait begins. I'm on the east coast, so maybe the order will arrive late next week via snail-UPS.

CarveOne
    CarveOne

Update -

My new G203v drives arrived yesterday. No shipping damage and I'm a really happy camper now.

CarveOne
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gecko Drive G203V.JPG  
    CarveOne

My new G203v drives arrived yesterday. No shipping damage and I'm a really happy camper now.

CarveOne
    :banana:Looks like you are on the cutting edge of today's technology with those drives.:banana:
    Let us know how it progresses.

Mike

Thanks much for your help Mike.

I was sure I wanted the G203Vs but was held back by no mention of the mid band resonance reduction in the description. With that resolved I had no reason to not order them. (I think the other vampires at Gecko Drives Inc. were all sending me mental projections that made me unable to resist the lower price with their constant "BUY ME! BUY ME!" messages that I was receiving in my unsettled sleep.)

My sister now wants my beach Gecko but I said no way. Here is it's new home:

CarveOne
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PC030001.JPG  
    CarveOne

Thanks much for your help Mike.

I was sure I wanted the G203Vs but was held back by no mention of the mid band resonance reduction in the description. With that resolved I had no reason to not order them. (I think the other vampires at Gecko Drives Inc. were all sending me mental projections that made me unable to resist the lower price with their constant "BUY ME! BUY ME!" messages that I was receiving in my unsettled sleep.)

My sister now wants my beach Gecko but I said no way. Here is it's new home:

CarveOne
    I gave mine to my wife and she likes it. Nice when one of your purchases makes her happy.

Glad to help.

My former wife couldn't possibly ever get the beach gecko, and my 40+ yo "baby sister" may eventually get one when I order another G203V for a 4th axis. Meanwhile, this one will try to survive by eating bugs and viruses that come near my little computer.

BTW, I'm an R/Cer also.

CarveOne
    CarveOne