586,493 active members*
1,963 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Eazicnc or Mach3 for my mill?

Eazicnc or Mach3 for my mill?

Hi there,

I have just received my long awaited cnc mill. I was going to go down the "converting a manual mill" route but came across a conect contour minor mill on ebay and the rest is history.

Upon receipt reality struck and i am in possesion of a machine which now needs potentially gutting. I currently have no pc connected and the socket on the back is a serial port.

I have been in contact with CDE (www.eaziform.co.uk), who have offered an upgrade package which is a new cnc card, serial cable and a copy of eazicnc. This total cost is £245 +vat. They tell me that it is a straight forward swap and away you go. (they actually advertise this actual upgrade on their website).

My problem is that I already have mach3 (which runs a lathe) and i hoped to use their upgrade with mach but apparently this will not work. Their reasoning being "The distinction is that our controls and cards are intelligent and do not rely on a driver in Windows to generate the step pulses and other time critical information". ?(dont understand)

So should I go with the CDE upgrade with eazicnc (not sure how good it is?) or convert the machine further to run mach? (new drivers i assume and extra's)

I assume the mach route now will be more expensive?

**** Is eazicnc as good as mach? ****

I apologise for war and peach, any advice appreciated..

Jamie

I bought a controller unit and software CDE and I have to say to date this is one of the best purchases I have made. They guys are spot on with customer service I must have sent them hundreds of emails of how to do thing and every time the answers have sorted the problems.
    The EaziCNC software is highly recommended.

Hi, Do you know if the original software is still availible if ran on an old (1990's) computer?

Thanks.