587,035 active members*
2,800 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: wireless

wireless

Does anyone know howto get a computer running ubuntu 8 emc2 to connect to the internet via its wireless LAN?

With great difficulty if it didn't work the first time! I believe that emc doesn't load all the restricted modules that help to get wireless work. I have read that someone bought a Ethernet to wireless adapter to get wireless. Most people just use wires. If you want better answers to this question go on the EMC maillist:
    [email protected]

your best bet is to look into the problem at the Ubuntu forums. I don't think wireless setup is automatic yet. Not a big fan of wireless and real time systems though.

Note that any drivers have to be rebuilt under the real-time kernel. This is not a project for the faint hearted.

does wireless work with out the realtime kernal loaded (meaning when the GRUB menu comes up you choose something other then the rtai kernal). If it does the don't bother the Ubuntu people it's got to do with the realtime kernal.

Consider a wired link or use ethernet over the mains plugs. After days of frustration trying to get wireless working with Ubuntu, I switched to mains network plugs and immediately got connected to my Windows home network and the internet via the router. All runs fine with EMC2.