586,469 active members*
3,091 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

EngraveLab, WINcnc, Testra and Linkmotion

Hi,
    I am currently using Corel Draw X3 and Linkmotion software for my laser engraver/cutter set up and I would like to know what different types of software is out there for cutting AND engraving in the same file. Linkmotion software won't do this.
    I was looking at SignLabs' EngraveLab 7.1 but it looks like it is just another software set and doesn't control the actual laser.
    I would like something that can raster a picture THEN cut it out after. Having to reset/restart Linkmotion every time you go from cutting to engraving is getting to be a PITA.

Linkmotion costs about $1300 and the new version can do 3D (or so I am told)
    WINcnc is about the same with hardware boards to output to the laser.
    Testra is about $1500 but you get a 32Meg buffer and all the motion control stuff to go with it.
    EngraveLab 7.1 can be had for around $900 and up.

Can some people help out with the pro's and con's of these packages?

I would like to use grayscale picture engraving where the laser modulates the beam strength depending on the value of the gray scale pixels. Linkmotion will do this with cutting but not for engraving.

I have PhotoGrav but find that I am having limited success with it (I will do more testing at a later date But I still want to cut and engrave in the same file)
    Any help will be very beneficial and we can post all our needs and the programs' shortcomings on this thread.

Thanks.
    Richard.
    I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example.

I think at the moment only testra can do it.I'm also looking for a controller that can do both at the sametime.
    You're right, switching linkmotion from raster to vector is a pain.I've droped it from my wish list.
    It would be nice if there was a gcode interpreter for that.
    Carl from deskcnc is working on a laser raster engrave feature to add to deskcnc, i did try it but it didn't work, I hpe he can do it or I'll have to pull the 2K for testra .
    Btw that's 2.000usd not 1500.

Fogassa.