586,734 active members*
3,232 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Selecting features to machine on solids.

I have a question about machining a feature on a solid model without having to select the whole solid model. For example, I have drawn a cylinder that is 2.00 in. diameter and 1.00 in. tall with a .250 X 45 degree around the top edge. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to only select the chamfer to machine it, instead the whole solid is always selected. Can someone show me the right direction? Thank You for your time.

can you creates surfaces from the features ? if you can, then you can hide the solid body and pick the surfaces you need to machine. sorry I don't have solidcam, but essentially that is how to deal with solid body selection in mastercam

Quote Originally Posted by 2_jammer View Post
    I have a question about machining a feature on a solid model without having to select the whole solid model. For example, I have drawn a cylinder that is 2.00 in. diameter and 1.00 in. tall with a .250 X 45 degree around the top edge. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to only select the chamfer to machine it, instead the whole solid is always selected. Can someone show me the right direction? Thank You for your time.
    You don't need to select the model. I presume that this chamfer is in one plane and you want what I call "2D code" - in other words a G2 or G3 to drive the tool in an arc? What you do is create a profile job, call up your chamfer cutter (or 90° spotting drill which is my preferred option) then for the profile pick the LOWER edge of the chamfer. Set the upper level as the top of the chamfer and the profile depth as the bottom of the chamfer. Down in one corner of the profile job dialog box there is a button called "Rest / Chamfer" - click on that to set cutting diameter regarding the tool (if you are using a spotting drill).

Bob's method is exactly the same as I use for simple chamfers. However, if my chamfers run into some tight situations I sometimes sketch some extra lines and what have you (taking tool geometry into account) and then drive the cutter along this new sketch. Takes a bit of extra time figuring it out, but works well if I'm trying to get a chamfer real close to a wall or something. Usually purely cosmetic, but none of the shops that I used to use to get my CNC work done could ever get it how I wanted, so I made the extra effort to find a way.

One thing I've found with CAD/CAM is that even when I can't figure out how to do it 'properly', there's usually a way of getting it done.

Thanks for the replies. As a new comer to Solidcam I'll make sure to take note. However, my example was a poor one. I guess what I'm asking is what if I had to machine that surface (the chamfer) with a tool, for example, with a ball mill. When I click on 3-d milling, I am forced to select the entire model, not just a particular feature.
    Thank you for your time.

I'm pretty new to this game too, but Solidcam is not to tricky to learn and you'll be up to speed in no time I'm sure.

As for selecting the chamfer, when you go to 3D milling you will be selecting the 'target' which would be the entire solid model unless you specify otherwise. You'll then want to narrow down the machining area by selecting the chamfer in the 'working area', either by selcting profile edges, or the chamfer face.

Thanks for the tip- that solved my problem. :cheers:

Happy I can help.

It's not often I come up with info that's actually useful!