586,599 active members*
3,675 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Wireless gamepad control

Anyone using the Logitech wireless gamepad to control their CNC? I see that is programmable and figure it should be able to mimic any key commands under a Windows based cnc controller.. but has anyone had luck with it? I'm using WinCNC.

I have seen the Wii remote being used to control robotic items but never anything regards to a cnc
    I'm not lazy..., I'm efficient!
    HAAS GR-408

well I have one on order from Amazon, so I'll test it out and report back to everyone.

UPDATE with success

OK, so I bit the bullet and got one from Amazon. It came in today and I can tell you that within 5 minutes I was running my machine around with the controller. The gamepad is Logitech Rumblepad 2 for the PC, not the ones made for the console gaming systems.

I downloaded the newest driver/software (I'm running Vista) from their website and it includes ways to attach keystrokes to any button on the gamepad. For instance, I have the 4 right thumb buttons set to control X and Y movement, and the 2 right finger trigger buttons to move Z. The analog joysticks can be set to control XYZ movement too if you like, or whatever else. Keep in mind that WinCNC allows you to hold down XY at the same time to move diagonally, but it doesn't allow curved movements, so you're not going to be doing circles by spinning the analog pad around in circles, plus that kind of thing isn't possible with keystrokes anyways since there is no smooth transition between keystrokes.

You can also record multiple key commands as well, so I can have the 'left trigger' button run G92 X0 Y0. Or if you have your program set up for macros, just run it's macro command. On my machine, typing 'M3' runs a macro, so I could just have the gamepad button run 'M3'.

I tried it from the farthest point in the shop (only 25' or so.. small shop) and it worked fine.. no reason to use it that far away other than for emergency stop.

So far so good.. time will tell how it holds up, but customization seems just fine and I have to assume that any program that has the ability to use standard keyboard keystrokes could be controlled by this thing.

I will mention that the D-pad lets you put keystrokes on all 8 directions, not just 4 directions like the 2 analog joysticks. And if I count correctly, there are 26 customizable buttons/joystick directions. Only the 'Mode' and 'Vibration' buttons cannot be customized.

Requires USB for the receiver. When you start the customizing software, just click on 'setup a game' or whatever it is, and choose winCNC.exe or whatever your program's executable is... it's self explanatory. You don't have to have the actual customizing program running once you have it set up.

had someone ask me off list if it could control mouse movement. I found today that you can assign the analog thumb joysticks to control mouse movement, as well as press the analog joystick down for another assignable button.. you can set it to mouse click as well.

ok eric i want one!!

jim
    James McGrew CAMaster 508 ATC
    www.mcgrewwoodwork.com http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

thats pretty cool that it worked out
    I'm not lazy..., I'm efficient!
    HAAS GR-408

I bought a small wireless numeric keyboard at bestbuy.. it has direction keys for jogging.. Only $12