586,852 active members*
2,276 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    we spend more awake time at work than we do at home with our families and i listed those reasons because i just believe that there are far too many employers who don't understand that a happy employee is a productive employee , too often guys are dragged down because of one trouble maker , and usually the compaqny is so concerned with getting parts out that they refuse to remove the problem rather than understand that the other guys are willing to take on the extra bulk of work in order to get some peace of mind

"why do people always leave" is a question that i have heard many times before but when ive answered a happy employee is a productive employee , it only fell on deaf ears ,
    those are generally the three key reasons people leave a job , why else would they unless they had to
    I agree, if you are an employer you have opted to take on that resposibility, you have employees. And too often parts are the priority when in the big picture the future should be, If an employee is not happy you'll get near nothing from them.

If you are an employee you have responibility for your self, you need to put yourself in an environment that is gratifying. Or get out.

I also think machinists are fickle anyway, but I also think that what we contribute is seriously taken for granted.

JMO, Robert

Quote Originally Posted by littlerob View Post
    I agree, if you are an employer you have opted to take on that resposibility, you have employees. And too often parts are the priority when in the big picture the future should be, ......
    There are two sides to this: An employer needs employees because parts need to be made on time, and sometimes this need has to override anybodies' desire to feel happy; employer or employee. The one party that must be kept happy is the customer and that is the big picture and that is the future; because if you don't keep the customer happy you will not need parts made on time so there will be no need for employees.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

geof.. agreed completely!

what are the normal salaraies for the following:

-draftsperson (3d cad expereience such as Solidworks)
    -entry level machinist
    -machinist (with limited cnc programming experience)
    -machinist/cnc programmer (somebody you can basically leave alone in the shop to program all the cnc equipment, make parts, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by squale View Post

-draftsperson (3d cad expereience such as Solidworks)
    -entry level machinist
    -machinist/cnc programmer (somebody you can basically leave alone in the shop to program all the cnc equipment, make parts, etc.)
    Six months ago, or in six months time?

both? I'm assuming salaries are going down due to the poor economy? but I think this is going to affect every business segment.

which is why I can't support democrats and higher taxes right now, they are gonna tax businesses more, hence the business is gonna have to cut expenses, will be lowering employee wages and taking away benefits..

both? I'm assuming salaries are going down due to the poor economy? but I think this is going to affect every business segment.

which is why I can't support democrats and higher taxes right now, they are gonna tax businesses more, hence the business is gonna have to cut expenses, will be lowering employee wages and taking away benefits..
    again an employee with less money in is pocket will spend less wich make company make less profit out of the employee spending.

thats another way of seeing it.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own. -Les opinions exprimé dans ce messages sont les mienne

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    There are two sides to this: An employer needs employees because parts need to be made on time, and sometimes this need has to override anybodies' desire to feel happy; employer or employee. The one party that must be kept happy is the customer and that is the big picture and that is the future; because if you don't keep the customer happy you will not need parts made on time so there will be no need for employees.
    at the same time an unhappy employee tends to make less desirable work quality wich in turn makes the employer have to deal with an unhappy customer wich often then makes the employer less patient wich makes the employee unhappy about its job wich makes him less carefull about its job wich make the employer unhappy about the response of the customer about the sub quality product he received

on the other hand a happy employee that makes a great job because he is proud to work were he work will turn out great part that make the customer happy and the employer happy that all he had to do is excuse itself about maybe a slight delay if any and thats it.

but in the other scenario the unhappy customer might stay with the shop but might also try to find another shop in the long run.

so basically its the same thing with any other scenario solve the problem at the base of the pyramid if the top block is falling because the base is cracking dont just replace the top block repair the base.

now one might say "ok then fire the machinist and hire a new guy" this might solve the problem for good or just temporarily if the guy was a jerk who always complain no mater what to start with then yes you will have solved your problem but if the guy was a truly good worker and that he was just unhappy about it condition then the solution will just be temporary as you will probably to start all over again with the new guy after a while

-draftsperson (3d cad experience such as Solidworks)
    -entry level machinist
    i dont know about in the us but here
    -draftperson = ~15$/hr to start if you get minimum experience
    -entry level machinist = 9$-12$/hr
    -machinist = 10$-15$/hr
    -machinist/cnc operator = 13$-20$/hr

but that depends on the region and the need for them and the cost of life were you are, i have a friend of mine who went to work in Alberta at the same time i started working here in Quebec when i did my cnc operator course and he started at 22$ and i started at 13$ but living in Alberta were he was, was costing him alot more then me so he was making maybe 1$-2$ more then me if we put the cost of life to the same level
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own. -Les opinions exprimé dans ce messages sont les mienne

There are two sides to this: An employer needs employees because parts need to be made on time, and sometimes this need has to override anybodies' desire to feel happy; employer or employee. .
    totally agree and it works smooth and productive in the right environment ,

people can feel a sense of accomplishment by managing to out do yesterdays production or to simply look at that days production , pride would be a key factor , pride in one's self , pride in one's work and pride in the company and people the work for and or with , afterward a guy or gal arrives at home with a clean mind
    i have found that with the right dynamics incredible things can happen in the best and worst of times

ive worked both sides of the coin and i couldn t count how many times i have heard "so what are they gonna fire me? which generally was at bad companies where it was tough to feel any sense of pride
    but then that why i wrote down #4 some employees are simply idiots
    which would be the guys who cant get it into their heads how good they've got it when they do have it
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

I agree too, the job has to be done PERIOD. I just think (dangerous I know) if you have gratified; (I don't really care if their happy:devious: that is entirely up to them (see I figured out the icons thing)) employees you get more from them. Optimistically they are mature enough to understand a few things, it rolls down hill, and everybody has the right to be grouchy at times, and we move on to the next job. I try to keep my guys in a good atmosphere, not like buying breakfast everyday, but trying to be proactive cause thats what I want them to be.

I think its a little depressing, that people depending on an employers satisfaction, will never become what they could be, what reason do they have to be less secure? "What are they going to fire me" man i wish there were enough capable people around here that getting fired might even be an option. Robert

With that being said this is my first job as a machine shop foreman maybe I'm way off if so, feel free to say so. You guys have way more obvious experience than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by littlerob View Post
    ....everybody has the right to be grouchy at times,...
    No, that is restricted to HuFlungDung.

Good ol' Hu good, fast and grouchy