586,495 active members*
1,685 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tree > Tree Journeyman 425 92-93 Dynapath 10m Motor Overload alarm

Angry Tree Journeyman 425 92-93 Dynapath 10m Motor Overload alarm

I just recieved an alarm MOTOR OVERLOAD. At the time it happened, the spindle was turned on. I was moving in z- direction in linear mill not milling any material. I recieved the alarm and the maching shut down. I hit reset but it would not help. Turned off the machine and waited several minutes and turned it back on which did nothing. The maintence manual only says the the spindle motor or coolant motor has faulted. It does not give a description of repairing other than see the programming manual for further information. The programming manual does not have that particular error in it. PLEASE HELP!

Thanks,
    Rocky

If you are in E-stop condition, look for 3 phase overloads that need a reset, check fusing.
    You really need the I/O details and schematics.
    Also knowing how to use the ladder is a help in diagnosing.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Hi, maybe it is too late, but check the wires on your Z axis motor, sometimes the movement (up and down) cut a wire.

i jst had something simalier it was the air solonoid for the brake failed and aplied full break stopped the spindle set off code
    Otto
    just another one man show workin to play

I agree with BSM. I just had the same problem and found it was a short in the Y-Axis control module.

Rather than starting a new thread for a similar issue, just replying to this one.

Tree Journeyman 325, Dynapath Delta 20 control

Rapid movement of the Z axis + or - trips "Motor Overload" error and E-stop. This can be cleared by Reset. Also, Z axis movement in the 50+ipm range makes the cylinder creep. For instance, a line of peck drills with fast Z axis spindle retraction. Eventually the drill will no longer reach the material because it slightly overshoots the top Z position each cycle.

Slow movement of the Z axis (<20ipm) shows no signs of this creeping issue. X and Y axis are accurate at all speeds, no issues.

The problem really shows itself on programs like cavity mills where there are brief Z rapids inherent in the cycle. If there were some way to control the speed of the rapid on the Z axis, it seems like that would band-aid it, but it would be nice to not have to work around it...

Any ideas/suggestions are highly appreciated.

Marshall

You need to check axis lag. Go to setup and you can turn on the lag display. Then your position screen will show lag. And stand still it should read 0 +/- 1. now jog the axis plus and minus. Lag should be the same both directions other than the plus and minus symbol. You probably need to pull the z motor out, inspect brushes and blow out the carbon inside the motor. Will most likely need a servo tune at minimum.

Thanks for the reply. ZAxis lag is the same plus or minus. On fast jog it is .37xx. Medium jog is .02xx, slow jog is .002x. I will pull, clean, inspect brushes next.
    When you say tune the servo, does that mean send it off for overhaul or is that done in-house? Sorry new to this and the lingo.

Thanks again for your time. Marshall

edit - pulled the motor which was surprisingly easy. Motor looks fairly new/rebuilt - 12amp Baldor. Brushes were clean as can be. Another newb question, is it possible someone changed the motor but didn't adjust for it? Maybe this is the 'servo tune' you're talking about?