586,414 active members*
3,259 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Adding drill points to a rectangle

Unhappy Adding drill points to a rectangle

Hey all,

We're building a probe for a project we have here to do in house inspection that will run on GCode.
    I'll be receiving data with a bunch of rectangles much like the sample file I've attached and want to know if there is a way I can add points to the center of all these rectangles.
    I'll be using the points as "drill" points to tell the probes where to drop down and test the plate.
    I'd love to just be able to select the array and tell MC9 to just drop points in the center of these rectangles like I do with putting points in a bunch of small circles, but I think I may be SOL on that. I'll wind up having to do a minimum of 25 different designs a week, so the quickest way for me to do this would be appreciated.

-Joe

I guess the file was too big.
    Here's one that's similar.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I cannot think of a way to automate this process but I bet you could find somebody to build a "c-hook" that could search for closed chains and create a point in the center...

Other than that you could possibly speed up the process by...

1. Set your auto-cursor to only pick up "endpoints" (normally found at R-click menu)

2. Set your main level to an empty one called "points"

3. Select Create >> Rectangular Shapes and make sure that the options for "2 points" and "center point" are selected.

4. click on 2 opposite corners of each rectangle. You will be creating a new rectangle and a center point...

5. Turn off all levels except the new "points" level.

6. Delete all lines using the "all" feature or the quickmask toolbar. This should leave only the center points behind.

Definitely not automatic but I bet I could complete the example in about 5-10 minutes with this method...

Smile Point's

Thank's Matt for that tip ! Saved it in case I need it in the future. Harold C.

Thanks Matt.
    I'll definitely give that try.

Smile

If the rectangles are the same size, maybe less mouse clicks to do this using :
    CREATE>POINT>MIDPOINT
    Change to a unique color
    Keeping your finger on the "M" key to keep selecting midpoint. Pick same side of each rectangle in same axis. Lets say "X".

Then XFORM the points 1/2 the width of the adjacent side using that unique color for a filter.
    Pick a new color and do the same for "Y"

If you are going to be doing thousands of these, maybe a VB script is the way to go.

Or using create point and if they are the same using the option of Relative to the mid point and giving a value.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .