586,912 active members*
3,679 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > solidworks to bobcad 16?

Question solidworks to bobcad 16?

Is it possible to import solidworks files into bobcad v 16?

Only in the form of plain old dxf, I believe. No fancy solidworks files with solids and/or surfaces in, for sure.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

So if I import the file in as a dxf can I use it to program a part in bobcad? I have a copy of mastercam but it is not letting me reinstall it as that it is looking for a dll file that it can not find and I need to get a system working with what I have? I currently run pro manufacturing at work and have never used bobcad. I bought bobcad a few yaers ago and looked at the training videos but never used it. How hard is bobcad to use?

I don't have Bobcad installed but you will have to install it at some point to try it out. Then you can see what types of files it can import. I'm pretty sure dxf was one. Maybe in AutocadR12 format or something.

How hard is Bobcad to use? What do you intend to do with it? That's a few versions ago. I'd think twice about dedicating much time to learning an old version of any program.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

BobCAD V16 will allow you to import DXF and IGES only. However the translators were updated in V18 and again updated in V19. V19 allows for Step, Iges and DXF. This would include wireframe, surfaces or solids in V19. Version 19 offers the largest amount of improvements and includes the ability to create toolpath directly from an imported solid as well as much more. This includes multimedia training videos as well.
    CNC Dude

Well being as I don't have money for a new version of cam software. Does anyone have an up grade for my version 16 software or after I install the old version can you guys give me pointers on using it. It really sucks that I run pro manufacturing at work and have solid works at home that I will have to use the old 2d stuff, but as long as I can create tool path based off of what I convert from 3d I can still do side work from home.