586,463 active members*
3,472 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tool Length Measurement - No Button On Panell

I have a Leadwell VM25 with a mitsubishi meldas M50 cotrol. In order to set the tool height offset, I am subtracting the current Work offset position from the tool offset position manually. There is no button on the control panel that I can see. Is there a way to do this on the controller? On a fanuc you type in M or hit the measure button, but I don't see the equivalent on this controller. Any help appreciated.

If anyone one has setup procedures they have written id love to see how people do things.

Thanks.

I seem to recall there is a procedure that allows a Push button to be added to a dedicated input.
    I can see if I can dig it up.
    And also IIRC you do not need any change to the ladder.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Also check to see if this switch is located as a PLC switch setup by the OEM when he made the PLC. It would be a soft switch which can be turned on or off through the screen. You will need to locate this screen, usually located near the control parameters.

Regards,

Chippy

-

Again, if there is no switch located on the op panel, look at your PLC Switches to see if there is a soft switch to turn on. This is a function of the PLC.

Press the monitor button, then press menu key under the CRT to change menu's. You should be able to see a PLC SW button under the CRT. Also don't forget to page forward, it maybe located on the second page. I've seen it located on the second page as TLM1 and TLM2.

Regards,

Chippy

Now I read you loud and clear! Thanks, didn't know what PLC SW stood for! Boy, maybe it has an optional stop switch too!

Thanks.

If the machine builder is good he wood have programmed the option stop into the PLC Switch too. It is definitely possible to have it there too.

Regards,

Chippy

No measure button in the PLC SW section. Oh well, I just set my face mill - tool 1, to zero offset and set my Work csy off of that. Then I can just touch my other parts off, and enter the Work Z value into my tool offset. So there is no MZ0 function like there is on a Fanuc???

Found the Optional stop button! it was in the PLC SW section.

OK, I could not find my notes on the last M50 system I did, but going through the books it looks like Mits gave me a bum steer, if the Manual Tool Length 1 is what you want, BTW, there is a better explanation in the Operation Manual, rather than the Programming Manual.
    Apparently when you set it up, the TLM output Y22.8 has to be picked up, this can be done by either a spare input or a PLC switch which run from X14.0 to X15.F.
    You can usually enter/change the ladder on screen, You just need a simple one input to one output rung.
    I am not sure whether the PLC instruction book is on the MEAU site.
    Bit if you get some one a bit knowledgeable on PLC's it would take them all of 20min max.
    If you screw up, just don't save it and it will revert back.
    Also it is easy to label the PLC switch.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.