586,796 active members*
5,149 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > X3 extended y-axis travel (7.75" vs 5.75") ?

X3 extended y-axis travel (7.75" vs 5.75") ?

I've noticed the Syil america's CNC "X4" kit is offering a 2" longer Y axis than the standard travel seen on the X3 machines- 7.75 vs 5.75.

Syil's "X4" mill looks essentially identical to an X3 from the pictures, so it's not clear to me if the mill, saddle, or table is fundamentally different than the X3, or if they're doing some tricks to extend the Y Axis on a standard X3 mill.

If it really is a new mill design, does anyone know of a vendor selling just a standard "X4" mill?

The 7.75" travel is a significant difference for me. I've also been considering just stepping up to the next sized mill, such as this one from grizzly:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/9-x-...th-Stand/G0484

Thanks for any help.

Been thinking about that same model from grizzly to. I have my eye on it as well, it looks like a good machine and could be converted very nicely to CNC.

Not sure on your initial questions

-Jason

Sorry for being obtuse!

I'm wondering if the 2 extra inches of travel was accomplished by modifying a standard X3, or if there is indeed a new "X4" model out there that has an extended base and saddle.

If it's a new design, I'd like to know where I could just purchase the "X4" mill without the CNC conversion.

i think the syilx4 uses a totally new base compared to the syilx3 wich was basicly a modified seigx3
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own. -Les opinions exprimé dans ce messages sont les mienne

I should remeasure my X3's Y travel - after my CNC mod I got MUCH more travel than stock - primarily moving forward since they didn't run the ACME lead screw back to the rear of the saddle, my conversion ran the ballscrew to the read of the saddle and allowed the back of the saddle to move flush with the back of the ballnut mounting block. Additionally I made the Y bearing mount extend from the face of the saddle so the back of the saddle could contact the face of the column. I want to say I got more than 7" travel but till sometime this weekend take this with a grain of salt

That said I would be interested in a beefier base if it handles the X3 saddle, there are some design flaws with the X3 base dovetails IMHO - so anyone who manages to find one do post where and how much There were no modifications to the base in my conversion so that would be an easy swap.
    Every day is a learning process, whether you remember yesterday or not is the hard part.
    www.distinctperspectives.com

Thanks, cadmonkey.

Which CNC retrofit did you use? Did you use the cncfusion kit, another one, or did you roll your own?

Your experience reflects my suspicions on getting a little bit more travel with tweaks and tricks, maximizing travel when possible. If you measure your travel and find that it's close to the 7.75" seen on the "X4" then perhaps they're using a standard base, and employing similar techniques for maximizing travel.

I currently have an X2 conversion that's working well, but I'l really dying for that extra Y travel!

Thanks again...

Rolled my own - see my website (in my sig line) and you can see the complete details (including drawings) - I don't have time to check right now what the Y travel is but I know I gained a significant amount over stock.
    Every day is a learning process, whether you remember yesterday or not is the hard part.
    www.distinctperspectives.com

wow cadmonkey your cnc conversion print set is awesome nice blueprint and very detailed
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own. -Les opinions exprimé dans ce messages sont les mienne