586,377 active members*
2,556 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

HYPERTHERM Powermax 900 or Powermax45

I'm new to the forums here and need some advise. I'm in the market for a Plamsa Cutter, Hypertherm is the brand I prefer. I'm looking at a used Powermax 900 or a new Powermax45 for twice the price. I plan on building a CNC table for the Hypermax in a Year or so. Both machines have the computer interface.

Right now, I cut thin gauge metals regularly, but when I get the table going, I'll be cutting 3/8" mild steel on a weekly basis (not daily). We're on a tight budget, but don'y want to throw $ away when we should've saved up for something better.

Thanks

The Powermax900 is a great machine...55 Amps output. If it has the RT60 upgraded torch...it is even better.

The new Powermax 45 is the replacement for the Powermax600 (40 Amps)...the 45 puts out 45 Amps and cuts similar to the capability of the Powermax900 due to new technology. Consumable life on the 45 is also superior.

Either way...you will have a great system!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Koolaid View Post
    I'm new to the forums here and need some advise. I'm in the market for a Plamsa Cutter, Hypertherm is the brand I prefer. I'm looking at a used Powermax 900 or a new Powermax45 for twice the price. I plan on building a CNC table for the Hypermax in a Year or so. Both machines have the computer interface.

Right now, I cut thin gauge metals regularly, but when I get the table going, I'll be cutting 3/8" mild steel on a weekly basis (not daily). We're on a tight budget, but don'y want to throw $ away when we should've saved up for something better.

Thanks
    I appreciate the input, Thanks Jim. My plans are to save up the additional $ and purchase a new Hypertherm Powermax45 unit.

But how thick can a Powermax45 cut when it`s used in an CNC table? Isn`t the cutting thickness in a cnc table (or something similar) reduced allot compared to drag cutting manually?

The mechanized rating for a Powermax45 is 3/8". If the cnc cutting machine has a torch height control with advanced features....like the ability to find the surface of the plate before every cut....then retract to a pierce height...the index quickly after the pierce to the cut height.....then it can pierce 1/2"....maybe even 5/8" with slighty reduced consumable life. I do 1/2" often...and 5/8" occasionally with my 45 on my PlasmaCam DHC2 machine. If you are hand cutting...the 45 is rated for 3/4"....with max severance of 1".

Duty cycle is the other issue.....if you plan to do long duration cuts on 3/8" or 1/2" plate....on a hot day...you could exceed the duty cycle rating of the Powermax45.....another reason why it is machine cut rated at a thinner rating than for hand cutting...usually the operator will get tired with a hand torch long before the duty cycle is reached!

If you were cutting 3 shifts a day...in an industrial high duty cycle application and were needing to cut 1/2" material...I would steer you towards a 130 amp, 100% duty cycle plasma system.

Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by Sperstad View Post
    But how thick can a Powermax45 cut when it`s used in an CNC table? Isn`t the cutting thickness in a cnc table (or something similar) reduced allot compared to drag cutting manually?