586,388 active members*
3,364 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Subtracting

Subtracting

Hi all,

Ok I am a long time AutoCad user and just resently started using solidworks and i have drawn up 10 parts and inserted them into an assembly drawing and now what i want to do is inserte an 11th part and subtract it out of the assembled 10 parts. Is subtracting solids from solids possible in SW like it is in AC? If not how else is this possible i can't extrude cut them because the
    11th parts is a lofted part so i do not know how to cut a lofted part out...

Help:drowning:

Thanks,

Is this not possible? I have read through the book and i see that not many of the feature options are avaliable in the assembly file. but i have tried to find out if i can do a lofted cut in a part file and that does not look possible either.

anybody else have this problem?

Thanks again

In your assembly try INSERT. MOLD. CAVITY

Thanks Kiwi but i do not have that on my version. I am using 04 and i don't have a lot of options in assembly part. But reading the book last night i did figure out a combine option that will work the only problem is i have to insert it into each of the 10 parts sepreatly and try to allign it perfectly and subtract it out. I think it will work, but it will just be harder and take alot....longer.(I think it is time to upgrade to 09)

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    In your assembly try INSERT. MOLD. CAVITY
    Hey thanks Kiwi, After much more reading i have figured out what you mean I must be in edit part before that will work but it does work. Thanks again