586,290 active members*
3,925 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Haas Tl-1 (toolroom lathe) new power up proceedure?

Angry Haas Tl-1 (toolroom lathe) new power up proceedure?

We just installed a new Haas TL-1. They have changed the power up / restart procedure requiring you to manually home each axis and the tool turret after power-up. For the life of me, I can not find any documentation on how to do this. The manual that came with the machine tells you how to do it the old way but pressing Power/Restart. That is now disabled (function locked error).

Does anyone here know what the procedure is? I would be most greatly thankful! Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Lumenium View Post
    ...Does anyone here know what the procedure is? I would be most greatly thankful! Bill
    Zero Return.

Z

Single Axis

Wait for axis to stop moving

X

Single Axis

Wait

A

Single Axis

The tool turret uses the A axis
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Geof -- you're the man! Worked perfectly.

:wave:

Quote Originally Posted by Lumenium View Post
    Geof -- you're the man! Worked perfectly.

:wave:
    You are welcome.

I discovered this by trial and error. I destroyed the original tool turret on my TL2 and the replacement was the servo driven style. The technician who installed it did not tell me that the Auto Restart was disabled and when I went to start the machine I was puzzled. Then I remembered watching a technician servicing and SL10 and use the A axis to rotate the turret and tried A in the single axis zeroing.

By the way....if you use a conventional parting toolholder it will probably crash into the cover over the servo motor when you index the turret. Also check that none of your tool holders hang down much below the slots in the turret, there is very little clearance over the cover.

Points well taken -- Haas needs better start up capabilities. Perhaps sensors to prevent crashes while allowing for a fast and automated start up.

Perhaps: Zero X, move to zero Z (sensor for prevent crash into tailstock) followed by a move to center of Z (clear of tailstock and cover), then zero A (turret).

They have that on the bigger machines and the TLP machines before the new tool changer. I do not understand why it is not possible on them now.

The function is locked out ONLY if the machine is equipped with an automatic tool changer, because if the user leaves a long boring bar or similar tool in one station on that 4 station turret, it will crash into the tailstock. It's not a parameter that the Haas Tech can turn on or off...it's just what the software does when it's told it has a tool changer. A brand new TL-1 with a manual tool post will power up restart just fine.