586,455 active members*
3,260 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > Acramatic 2100 Arrow 1000 need help

Acramatic 2100 Arrow 1000 need help

Ok, i got a lot to cover sorry,

1st i have a Arrow 1000 with a Acramatic control that will not boot to nt.

i have 2 hard drives that are known good.

after post before nt boots i had a cmos checksum invalid, memory decreased & cmos date and time not set, insert bootable media in the appropriate drive.

i replaced the cr2032 cmos battery and this resolved the cmos issue, but the system would not boot to nt it would freeze up or shut off right before windows boot would begin. after a night alone the machine had the same problem, back to the cmos checksim invalid and not seeing the hard drive once again.

i have been told its the motherboard, hdd, bridge board, cmos setting and anything else under the sun. i really dont have many more ideas has anyone run into this problem before?

also both the hdd's booted on a regular computer.

thanks!
    Joe

Griz i have seen almost same problem in one of our machine:
    I would suspect the work station board ,the one where the H/D connects
    if you have a way to test it i mean in other machine you can do it

lol thanks, yes that ended up being the motherboard

In the future if you have hard drive problems i have had very good succes changing the hard drives in the Arrow 1000 to a flash card. Every time we do a yearly PM we image the hard drive so that we have a good set of files then instead of paying good money for a hard drive we load this material to flash card for pennies on the dollar. Also the flash card does not have any moving parts and seems to hold up better to heat. I know im of subject but if you have more than one of these machines i thought it would help you. I also have been using a company called Electrical South they seem to be able to repair these boards for a fraction of what siemens will. Especially if its an older machine and siemens is going to sell you an upgrade with new software.

What is required to change the HDD to a flash drive? We have a Hawk and an Arrow, we have backed up hard drives - but the flash card sounds like the way to go.

Chad please tell us how I am interested as well.

I would like to know this as well.

I'm interested as well in a flash drive.

JP

I saw on Ebay several people selling adapters that replace a standard IDE hard drive with a device that uses a camera-style SD memory card. I assume that this is what he was refffering to doing. When I get my current HD situation sorted out, I may try it jsut to see if it works.

I think this might be the answer. A flash drive that simply plugs directly into the IDE cable

http://www.bitmicro.com/products_edisk_35_ide.php

Now another scenario... how to replace the floppy drive with a USB port?

It is my understanding that USB is not supported by PCs that old. 98 was the first to support it, althought I did find a third-party supplier that has a USB device for NT 4. But since my machine is NT 3.51 that does me no good. There may be some way to convert a 232 or serial port to USB, but I am nowhere near enough of a computer tech to figure that out. And if it was do-able, there would probably be something on the market already.

Quote Originally Posted by laka View Post
    I think this might be the answer. A flash drive that simply plugs directly into the IDE cable

http://www.bitmicro.com/products_edisk_35_ide.php

Now another scenario... how to replace the floppy drive with a USB port?
    Why do you need a USB? The A2100 control has a HD so program storage shouldn't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by flyinphill View Post
    I saw on Ebay several people selling adapters that replace a standard IDE hard drive with a device that uses a camera-style SD memory card. I assume that this is what he was refffering to doing. When I get my current HD situation sorted out, I may try it jsut to see if it works.
    I looked at those products - the issue I have is that a 16G flash drive is $1000+ where as a 100G IDE HD is $45. I have a clone of my HD on a CD with Ghost. Although when the current drive I have dies I may consider switching to a flash drive - hopefully the cost will come down.

Quote Originally Posted by PinnacleMachine View Post
    Why do you need a USB? The A2100 control has a HD so program storage shouldn't be a problem.
    Taking large numbers of files in and out of the machine, cloning or backing up the hard drive externally, etc. I have had many occasions when I wished I had a USB.

There is an Ebay seller from Hong Kong that has the IDE adapter with an 8GB card installed for $34.90 free shipping. There is another seller with a true solid state drive card with 32Gb for $130 + $10 shipping.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to this i have been very buisy with training and projects. We use a circuit board for an IDE to flash rom adapter. I believe the total price is around fifty bucks. I am not sure where our IT guy is buying these but i know it is through an oversees whole sale distributor. One thing you must do is partition the card as the hard drive is then install your ghost image after that it should be no different than changing out a hard drive. The board we use plugs right into the power supply and cable to the hard drive so there is no changeing of anything. The nice part is you can just pull the card and ghost it for a yearly back up using something like Norton Ghost. I would like to see someone figure out how to put a PCMCIA card slot or a USB slot on these controls as our palm pilot with RS232 is very slow.

Chad - what size of drives are you running?

JP

i have an IDE adaptor it's about 30$