586,089 active members*
3,871 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > X2 CNC Fusion Kit Ballscrew Problem

X2 CNC Fusion Kit Ballscrew Problem

Background up 'til now...

Y-axis - no real problems. The screw was a tad too long and I had to file down some mold flashing on the base for it to clear. It runs smooth as silk now.

X-axis - this is where I really started to run into problems. The first issue was the screw hitting the top of the y-axis ballnut mount. After grinding the top of the mount down a little, I needed to grind some clearance into the y-axis saddle as well. THEN, I needed to grind the botom of the table to clear the ballnut (it was rubbing on the underside).

Problem...
    Whenever I "snug" up the x-axis ballnut mount, the nut runs like it has rocks in it. It's smooth until I sung that mount up - even the slightest bit makes it feel like I dumped filings in the nut...

Am I doing something wrong? I can't for the life of me figure out how to snug up that mount without it running rough.

By "snug" - I mean VERY little "snuggage" - light fingertip pressure on the t-handle.

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

Hi,

I had similar problem as you when installing the ballscrews. What I did was move the X axis table all the way to the left until the end of the ballnut touches the cncfusion block. I didn't have to file the X2 table but only turned the ballnut slightly so the return tube is clear of the side of the table. I turned it down facing.

Then again all x2 aren't made the same so I guess yours may need to be slightly modified to accept the ballnut and ballnut mount. What driver, PSU and stepper motor you are using?

I am using 150W 24V 5A keling PSU with KL5056 drivers and 495oz.in motor. I am upgrading to 500W 48V 10.5A power unit from ebay. Its a good deal cheaper even with shipping. 24V is just not enough for my X2 mill.

Alex

Alex - Thanks for the info. Actually, I don't even have motors hooked up yet - I'm still in the infancy of the build. I'll be using a Gecko 540, Xylotex motors, and a 48V 350W PS.

After messing with it today, I find that the crunching noise seems to be caused by a load and/or alignment issue. I can make it crunch by tightening up the gibs - inversely, I can make it not crunch as much by shimming the ballnut mount for better alignment. Now, whether or not it should crunch under a fairly snug gib - I don't know. Maybe this just makes an alignment issue more apparent to the ballnut....

Base on my own experience, it is the misalignment issue that causes the crunching. I believe if you can get the alignment dead on, you will have much smoother movement albeit some but faint crunching noise. Play around with the position of the ballnut and always move the table to the extremes before locking the ballnut in place. That's what I did but someone here with more experience may have a different way of doing thing.

Most kits are plug and play but to be honest the term should be change to plug, adjust, adjust some more and then play.

Alex