586,834 active members*
2,946 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cool V2XT problem!!

When i turn on my V2XT " BMDC Board ", the screen gets to where it says BOSS DX32 and all the numbers start running across the bottom of the screen. It should do about 10 lines of numbers and the " BOSS DX32 " goes off the top of the screen than the Home screen should come up..... What it is doing now is running hundreds of lines of numbers accross the screen for 2-3 minutes than stops at a \ and its stops there dead. I have a boot disk and have resetup the Hard Drive many times but this does not help anymore. Is the Hard Drive Bad?.......Thanks Mike

Maybe. But to read the hard drive correctly, the hard drive parameters in CMOS must be correct. It is also possible to contract a "virus." None of these are corrected by the factory back up disk.CMOS also affects the ability to read the floppy.
    What is necessary to resurrect a hard drive from scratch is a DOS 6.20 boot disk (to FDISK and format), a full set of DOS disks, and a version of machine software meant for DOS 6.20, and some DOS and PC knowledge.
    How old is the hard drive? Is it original? If indeed the hard drive has issues, I would consider a DOM (disk on a Module).
    Try going to DOS and doing a scan disk and a defrag. This may tell you something about the hard drive as well.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I went into DOS and did a scandisk & defrag and both were 100% OK. Checked CMOS and everything looks OK, floppy drive runs . I've been using a DOS 6.22 Boot Disk with utilities & Explorer/Discovery/V2XT-DX 2.30_4.54 w/MS DOS 6.22 Disk from EMI that is susposed to be for Hard Drive Recovery. I do not have ANY factory back up disks for this mill. I got this mill used so i'm not sure if it is the original Hard Drive, mill was ran without an air filter and coolent got inside the cabinet so the Hard Drive is dirty. When i went to remove it i seen that the screws were only halfway put in so i'm sure its been fulled with before. What is needed for a DOM setup? After turning mill on and off about 20 times it did come up ok but now won't again. .........Thanks Mike

The only acceptable hard drive mounting has the hard drive suspended by springs.
    Sounds like you have the original bracket with the 4 rubber isolation mounts.
    I am not familiar with EMI software.
    The DOM will plug into the IDE port on the IO board or mother board and emulate a hard drive. EMI sells them.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Here's a link to the OEM files for my 99 V2XT. Its in a zip file You can try it if you think it'll work.

Owen

V2XT 1999
    9 1/2
    B.C.I.T. Machinist CNC