587,021 active members*
4,476 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Alan Bradley plc

I have been given a registered copy of Alan Bradley 500 by the company I work for. I now need to reboot my computer and ask again for a copy to reinstall the programme. To avoid repeat asking can I make a copy of the RS Link as its on floppy disc without a problem. I cant see a problem with the 500 software as thats on CD.
    My other question is why is the RS Link on floppy anyway!.
    Thank you. Phil Spanner.

I think you are referring to the Key disk floppy? The RSlinx program usually comes with this 'Key' disc, so that you can load the software on several computers, but each time you want to run on a particular PC, the Key has to be removed on to the floppy and transferred over to the other PC.
    This is so that only one copy can be run at a time.
    I have used one of the verbatim copy programs to copy a key disk (for back up purposes only, of course!!).
    It cannot be copied by the normal PC copy utility.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Hi Al.
    That sounds like very good information.
    I wanted to reinstall windows in an effort to get the 500 plc to work. All I can do is write programs but not sent it to my plc. All I'm getting is ease of visual. I then use my hand held to actually load the program, limited to the processor I'm using.
    I was blaming the interface converter 1747-pic, now I wonder if the key was maxed out. It also means if it did load correctly I cannot reinstall windows without inserting the key to upload it back on the floppy!.I am asking my firm if that's the case.
    I would like to copy the floppy but worried that I might screw it up. Then its mud on my face.
    Regards Phil.

Sorry for the late reply, I missed your last post.
    If you can run the RSlogix then the key is present, it is usually the RSlinx that you require to run to set up the serial port transmission to the right protocol.
    You have to select the correct port and driver for the interface you are using 1747-pic and the processor, this then installs the RS232 driver, to enable upload/download.
    If after you have problems with other RS232 programs, then uninstall the driver.
    The floppy key disk can be copied if you turn the write protect on then you won't over write anything.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

PLC Allen Bradley.

Hi Al.
    Thanks for the reply. Ill have another go this weekend at getting it running.
    PS. You are proof that smoking stunts your growth !
    Regards Phil.

I don't know if you got this working or not. Here's some things I know about what you're trying to do:

Al is right, your key is working properly if you can write your programs on your PC. Most versions of RS Logix 500 come with RS Linx Lite which does not require a key.

As I understand it, the 1747-PIC does not work in most cases with Windows XP service pack 3 installed. I have heard that you have to roll back to service pack 2 if you want it to work.

The 1747-PIC will not work through a USB-Serial converter.

Al is also right about the 1747-PIC driver taking "full control" of your serial port. You will probably have to uninstall the driver or restart your computer to get other serial port applications to work properly.

I can't remember exactly how, but it's best to uncheck "run RS Linx as a service" because it will always run in the background on your computer otherwise. I think the path is
    Programs>Rockwell Software>RS Linx>Options or utilities (??? something like that)

There is a 1747-UIC interface that works through the USB port.

I hope this helps.
    Cliff

Hi Cliff.
    Thanks for your advice. I'm in the middle of a project at the moment and had to switch of from everything else. Designing my cnc table with Autodesk 10 and learning Mastercam x3.
    I get very absorbed in the learning and creating.
    I'm about two weeks away from finishing the table and look forward to solving my PLC problem with your advice.
    Thanks again Philippe.