586,154 active members*
3,719 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Mach 2 mental block - need help!

I just put a newer PC on my router and have decided to try Mach 2 instead of TurboCNC. I want to use the Windows interface.

I have read the manual - 2 and 3 times in some cases, but there are a few simple things that are driving me nuts! I am used to TurboCNC and so I relate everything to that.

1. I don't have home switches on my machine. I normally jog it around to the edge of my part, zero the axes and start cutting. In MACH 2, I have been unable to reliably zero the axes. I thought that I could type in the DRO and press enter. The readout just resets to what it was before.

2. I also want to be able to zero out an individual axis. I haven't been able to find out how to do this either.

3. I found out how to jog X and Y by using the arrow keys, just like TurboCNC, but the Z axis eludes me.

4. My machine has multiple router heads. In TurboCNC, the tool table has X,Y,Z offsets which allowed me to save each tool position to the table and call them up with a simple T2, T3 code. In Mach 2, it seems like I need to use fixture offsets for the X and Y, and tool offsets for the Z. Am I understanding this alright?

Thanks for any help.
    Trent

Trent - I'll give it a whirl:
    1. Same here - I've got the switches in the DRAWER and the wire ready - but haven't installed the switches either - So same boat! I wish you could "command the movement as you tried - don't think so. Have you used the little (on screen) joystick to move the axes yet?
    2. You can zero each axis individually in the newer versions of MACH2 right on the main "positioning" screen - the tab says zero X I recall, else you can zero (al I think) on the diagonstic screen.
    3. You can set up the keys you jog with using the config set ups - it asks what key for X+/- etc.
    4. Gotta figure that one out myself - but got 3/4 of them I think! Cheers - Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

for point three (3), use the "page up" and "page down" for the Z axis jog.
    Ballendo will be publishing the new manual very soon ..hopefully.

Let me help you with #4.

In order to fully use the fixture offsets you should have the home switches installed.
    Mach 2 is following the G-code standard to the tee. a lot of other controllers don't.

Let me first talk about how the fixture offsets work in Mach 2. Fixture offsets is a way of assigning multiple coordinate systems anywhere that your tool can reach (the 3D space of your machine). Mach 2 can hold 6 or more (can't remember how many) of these 0,0,0 coordinate positions. For each position there is a corresponding G-code to access it. The first one is the machines 0,0,0 position most of the time called the HOME position. In G-code it's G53. All of the other 0,0,0 positions you set will be referenced from this machine home position.

You can play with this feature even if you don't have your home/limit switches installed. Move the machine to the far edges of movement and set the dro's to zero. I think this is the same thing as referencing the axis. Now move the machine with the jog keys to a new position. Take note of the DRO's new readout, these new number will need to be entered in the fixture 1 offset's table. Move to another spot and enter the numbers into the #2 fixture offset table. Make sure you push the save button after entering the data.

Now go to the MDI interface. The G-code to access the first offset is G54. The second offset is G55. If you enter G54 into the MDI you should see the DRO change it's values to reflect the new 0,0,0 location. Enter G1 X0 Y0 Z0 F10. The machine should go to your first offset. Next try the second offset G55.

To use the tool length offset you just need to have your tool lengths measured and entered into the tool table. Mach 2 uses the G-code "G43 H#" The # is the tool number. You can also play with this command in the MDI. Type G43 H1. If you have a length entered into the tool table for tool #1 you should see the Z DRO change to reflect this.

To do a proper tool change your code should have the following:

T1 M6 The M6 is the command to make the tool change. (Configure > Logic)
    G43 H1 Set the tool length offset. Issue this before any Z movement.
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)
    http://www.homecnc.info

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Trent I included a quote from Jeff below that needs just a bit of caution depending if you have done all your setup in configs and diagnositcs.

"I think this is the same thing as referencing the axis."

I don't know if Jeff is reffering to the ref all button on the main page or not, but if he is and you have done all your setup the ref all button calls for a limit switch seek within the program. If you don't have limits you had better have hard stops.

A quick and dirty way to set the machine to zeros after you jog to your know starting position is to do a G92x0y0z0. Be sure if you use this that you always clear the G92 with a G92.1 after you have finished the program or include it on the end of the program itself.

I would bet my left uh......big toe :banana: that Jeff is far advanced to me in the use of cnc controllers and Mach2, so Jeff no disrespect meant on the warning of the reference thingy!

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

I hope my post was not confusing. I also did NOT want him to press the ref all button. I said to just zero the DRO's. What I was trying to convey was I thought that by zeroing the DRO's Mach 2 would also assign this location as the "Machine 0,0,0" location, Just LIKE doing the Ref all button. I have not done this before because I do have home switches installed, and I use the REF ALL button.

I hope that is much clearer now
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)
    http://www.homecnc.info

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks for all the help!

I am slowly getting back to where I was before I switched out computers.

I understand about the REF ALL and zeroing the DRO's. For some reason the other night, the DRO's wouldn't accept direct input. Last night, it worked fine. I will continue experimenting.

Thanks again, I'm sure that I will have more questions.

Trent