586,403 active members*
2,414 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > I need to know exactly how to touch off a tool

I need to know exactly how to touch off a tool

Hi peeps, I am starting a new job at a really nice shop, I have operated cnc mills and lathes in the past, making offsets and tool changes mostly, and it has been a couple years since I have been in a shop as I tried to pursue a different goal that didnt work out so well, if I could please ask someone to post exactly how to touch off a tool so I can refresh myself on it I would greatly appreciate it, LOL, I dont wanna have my first day totally disasterous. Thank you in advance.

I.m not familiar with any pro machines, but from what I have seen in video's, the controllers vary in steps to do it as well as different types of touch off tools.
    Youtube shows several different machines being touched off.
    Lee

from what i remember, you handle the tool in manually, using a 10 thou shim wigling it until the tool just touches the shim, stopping the shim from wiggling, you then go into (this is where i cant remember exactly) offsets or is it something else and add the 10 thou and enter it into the offsets, or is it tool settings, this is where i get a bit fuzzy, .
    This stuff is like riding a bike to me, I love it, and cant wait to get back into it and absorb all I can like a sponge, but if I stay away for a few years like I did, hopping back on is a wobbely ride at first, lol, im sure I'll be riding a straight path in no time though,
    ty for any advice you guys give, you seem to be a great community here.

Oh. Manually.
    I was thinking you meant using table mounted touch off or probes in the spindle.

It's not great for accuracy, but easy on tools the way I use now.
    I use a phone book page and the wiggle method. I slow my jog down to about 2% of 300 IPM rapids. That gets me as close as I need to get. Hard to do if you have a wet surface.
    I plan on making a touch plate for mine to use with Mach 3. There are a few examples of those.

Just be forward with the guys or foreman on the job. Ask them what they use. They would likely prefer you to use a particular method or tool anyway on some nice fine machinery.
    Lee

thank you leeway for all of your help much appreciated.

By the Way, Welcome aboard and stop back by often. Sounds like you will be able to answer some questions too.
    Good luck with the new job.
    Lee