586,907 active members*
3,103 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Syil Products > Need tips on SX3 disassembly

Need tips on SX3 disassembly

I can't separate the y-axis stepper from the saddle on my SX3. The Introduction doc says to remove the two bolts and push the saddle forward, but I can't get the saddle to move, or to separate from the stepper mounting plate. I have the table at full extension (away from the pillar). I've let some oil soak into the join between the mounting plate and the saddle, hoping it would loosen up the pins, and I can create a maybe .010" gap between the two by rocking the stepper, but I can't get the two pieces apart. I've also loosened all the y-axis gib screws.

Any tips?

Thanks.

Hello,
    If everything is lose perhaps a small pry bar or other suitable tool coul be used to persuade the stepper mounting plate to seperate. It may just be a tight fit on the dowels and it sometimes takes gentle prying at each end to get them apart. If the gap is very small I have even had good luck getting things started with a rigid putty knife, and then using a pry bar to finish up. Make sure all fasteners are remove and there is nothing holding it in place before trying to pry it apart. Just curious, but why do you need to seperate the parts to begin with? Modifications?
    Regards,
    Regards,
    Wes

I managed to get it apart, but only by "gingerly" whacking the saddle with a small sledge hammer, creating a gap big enough to get a screwdriver into and then using that as a wedge. Now I'm having the same problem with the x-axis and so far it's not responding as well as the y, but it's late here (in California), so I'll try again tomorrow.

I need to disassemble the y-axis because the y ball screw nut disintegrated and I need to replace it. As for the x, I figured as long as the machine's apart anyway I might as well disassemble it, too, and inspect the ways, which I never did when I first got the machine since I couldn't get it (or the y) apart. If it remains uncooperative, I'll leave it. The machine's been working great for the last 18 months, until this (though I don't use it very often), and Syil America's been extremely helpful.

Involute

Taper Pins

I had the same problems with my machine. The folks who assembled these machines thought the pins were nails and tried to drive them all the way in. This makes them nearly impossible to seperate. Taper pins should be threaded on the large end with a nut so they can be removed. The better alternative is a straight pin.

OM

So, how'd you get your machine apart, OM? I'm thinking of either trying to sand down the pins, or drill out the holes, before putting it back together, so I don't have to go through this the next time. It's not clear to me what value they add over just the bolts. I know we don't want the steppers flopping around adding to backlash, but I would think the bolts would be enough to prevent that. Certainly snug (not "nailed") pins would be adequate.

Involute

I don't have a Syil. Mine is a Grizzly SX3, with CNCFusion deluxe ballscrew kit. CNCF does not USE the taper pins in their conversion.

I found this Preparation Guide from Arc Euro Trade very helpful:

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/projec...on%20Guide.pdf

BTW: You have a fairly early SX3. These were notorious for having the quill DRO short out the whole spindle drive.

If you haven't done so already, I strongly advise that you IMMEDIATELY either remove that (ticking-time-bomb) Quill DRO, or insulate it from the PCB board behind it.

CR.

CR:

Regarding the DRO short, are you referring to what happened to this guy (and, I guess, others)?

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...+spindle+short

I haven't been able to find any other references.

Involute

Yep! That's the problem I was referring to. Better safe than sorry.

CR.