586,923 active members*
2,906 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Noise in Bridgeport 2J head (audio file included)

Hybrid View

machintek,

I see your point about the possible out of round that may result when replacing the plastic bushings. I was thinking about that when I was installing them. But then how do you make the repair? Do you replace the ENTIRE moving pulleys (both) with the new design that has the thick green bushing? If so, that seems like a very expensive way to go.

Thanks.

A belt will typically make noise if someone stalled the machine and the motor varidrive kept turning causing a low spot.
    Also I have often seen that the bearing that is in the front stationary vari disc goes bad and starts to eat through the vari disc.
    Remember the "clutch" teeth you saw? When new, they actually engage each other about half way down. As they wear, they go deeper untill they bottom out. Eventually they will have slop (play) and can be a source of noise. Try raising the back gear handle a bit further up to engage the clutch teeth a bit more and see what happens.
    My customers are typically commercial machine shops. It is cost effective to just replace the discs. It gives them a machine that will not need me a lot longer and my office charges $120.00 per hour for me. That makes a difference also.

George W.