586,734 active members*
2,984 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

My new High Speed Spindle

The good news: I got my Wolfgang Engineering spindle (he no longer sells them on eBay).

The bad news: I go to start making a mount for it and my Z-axis is dead on my HobbyCNC Pro. I test the Z using the Y-axis driver and it works.

The good news: I have a Gecko 540 on order.

Anyway, here is the spindle and the mount I'm planning. The spindle body if .75" in diameter. The mount will screw to the side of the X2 head. Looking for input since I have time on my hands.

Thanks,
    Jay
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hs_spindle.jpg   mount_p.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Don't know what mill you have but if you make the bracket so that it clamps around the existing spindle nose you don't have to drill and tap the head.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Jay C View Post
    The good news: I got my Wolfgang Engineering spindle (he no longer sells them on eBay).

The bad news: I go to start making a mount for it and my Z-axis is dead on my HobbyCNC Pro. I test the Z using the Y-axis driver and it works.

The good news: I have a Gecko 540 on order.

Anyway, here is the spindle and the mount I'm planning. The spindle body if .75" in diameter. The mount will screw to the side of the X2 head. Looking for input since I have time on my hands.

Thanks,
    Jay

I thought about that ... but then I'd need to modify the spindle lock that came with my belt conversion.

As for my mill, it's a X2 Mini Mill.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00123.jpg  

Well, I got some help with my driver board issue so I was able to cut out a prototype in plastic. It's only .25" whereas the real one will be .5" but it works

If anyone has some photos of a spindle mount that mounts to the mini mill spindle or even a Bridgeport one ... I'd like to see them please

Jay
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mount_proto.jpg  

well I dont have a minimill X series..... but I have a maxbc machine using one of those spindles and I have to say, for the price, its one damn good spindle. Not alot of horsepower granted, but its not designed to chew up hard material. I use mine for wax. Cool thing about it, is that you can keep your existing spindle in the machine and mount it off to one side of the head if you so desire.

Jay

I had a little different experience with the spindle. I picked up one late last year. It was the one he listed with double bearings on the collet end. I used it for cutting a lithopane and a few engravings in wood. Bearings went out on it with less than 10 hours of use. You may want to only use it for engraving.

Sent him email asking if it can be re-built. Never received a response.

Quote Originally Posted by lovebugjunkie View Post
    Jay

I had a little different experience with the spindle. I picked up one late last year. It was the one he listed with double bearings on the collet end. I used it for cutting a lithopane and a few engravings in wood. Bearings went out on it with less than 10 hours of use. You may want to only use it for engraving.

Sent him email asking if it can be re-built. Never received a response.
    This is his top of the line triple bearing TB-350S. After talking to fixitt and seeing videos on youtube of this model (fixitt has issues with the double bearing model too) I settled on this one.

I think I'm going to make (or have one made by my new machinist buddies at FedEx) a mount that is a cross between the one made and the one LMS sells from KDN.

I'll post the CAD drawing when I'm done but right now, I'm debating on should I go 1" thick like Hoss did, or .75" thick like KDN? I'll see what scrap I can find I suppose and design it for 1"

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Jay

Yep, that's the one, I think we are talking about the same one, two ceramic bearings on the head and on bearing at on the pulley end. I bought that one as he mentioned it can route Aluminum, brass and mild steel. I thought it would work great as I was not going to cut anything that hard.

Well I always assumed he sent me the 350S but looking at yours and the one he has listed on ebay I notice that the one you have and one still listed on ebay has a smooth polished finish, mine had a matte finish.

I do know I ordered the 350s as I had to explain to the "banker" why I did not want the cheaper model.

its really hard to have QC over bearings, and I understand that...... mine went out and I got it replaced....... No biggy, My new one is going strong......... I have been thru a few of the little spindle motors. Chewing the helk out of some wax I tell ya! Compared to the runout of the stock spindle I had, and the replacement costs of the dayton motor it used. This spindle is a god send,

I agree with you Fixittt, bearing going bad before it's time is no big deal to me. What bothered me more than the spindle going bad is not receiving a response to the email I sent.

The good news is I picked up a Porter Cable and also the collet set from here:
    http://www.precisebits.com/products/...llets_nuts.asp

and very happy with it.

I do miss the wolfgange, it was quiet and very precise while it worked.

Yes Richard was a bit sparse in returning emails but he forewarned me that would be the case. I can contact him on your behalf if you like ... he treated me honest and fair and I'm sure he would extend you the same courtesy.

On another note, here is what I drew up. Comments?

Note: I used the .dwg file of the Mini Mill I downloaded from the Grizzly Yahoo Group. HUGE THANKS to Eric Na the man that provided it:cheers:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new_mount.jpg  

This one shows the spindle "attachment". I have several plans for this mount plate. Including:
    • A tachometer sensor
    • A dust collection attachment
    • Possibly a mister or a drip coolant attachment
    • A webcam attachment
    • A LED ring light

Feedback is welcomed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new_mount_spindle.jpg  

nice work.

-Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Jay C View Post
    Yes Richard was a bit sparse in returning emails but he forewarned me that would be the case. I can contact him on your behalf if you like ... he treated me honest and fair and I'm sure he would extend you the same courtesy.

On another note, here is what I drew up. Comments?

Note: I used the .dwg file of the Mini Mill I downloaded from the Grizzly Yahoo Group. HUGE THANKS to Eric Na the man that provided it:cheers:

Thanks for the offer Jay C but I threw the spindle in the trash a month or two after not getting a return email so I don't think a new one would be offered. (or expected on my part since I no longer have the old one)

And other than the noise of the router I am very happy with the collet set that takes 1/8 bits.

I think you can still buy the spindles on ebay.

Here is a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TB-350S-High-Spe...2em118Q2el1247

Well I'll be. He had sent me an email saying he was moving on to turbines ... guess he made a batch of these when he made mine.

Jay

Just posted a video of me milling my new spindle mount http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dDOq2buRYg

Jay

Spindle works well!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just had a chance to use the Wolfgang Engineering high speed spindle on wax, resin impregnated wood, and aluminum.

It works well.

I cut aluminum 30 thousands deep at 7 ipm with a .1" bit at about 20k rpm. Worked very well! Highly recommended.

Here is a picture of the resin impregnated wood:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails US Seal straight on REDUCED.jpg   US Seal angle REDUCED.jpg  

Very cool! I'm using the Proxxon IB/E on my new router ... it can hang with the Wolfgang too. It also includes collets and electronic speed control. Just milled a circuit with it:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Jsac4v6Wyo"]YouTube - Circuit Milling[/ame]

i have 2 wolfgangs in use on 2 different machines. Ilove the little spindles because of the price.
    I too have done some exotic wood cutting as well with mine. Made a small clock. out of a watch movment