586,119 active members*
3,661 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > Musical Instrument Design and Construction > Rhino Help...Again..Machining an edge curve.

Rhino Help...Again..Machining an edge curve.

Ok, I'd call you Turmite but it's always too late. Let me know when I can call, but until then I'll post here.

So SERIOUSLY THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP EVERYONE. All the help so far has worked awesome. I can now cut curved frets, model and cut carved top and compound radius fingerboard like a pro...

So now that my top has been modeled and test carved I need a binding channel. Now normally I would just use the original curve that outlines my body but this new carved top has varying heights along the body. So I've made an outline curve that follows the edge contours of the carved top...with me so far. SO I'm able to make the surface but I've tried everything to be able to make a tool path for it and no luck. Bascially if you have a normal curve that is at a constant height at Z you would just use the profile function in RhinoCAM, but since the Z varies as you go along the top I can't figure out how to tell it to cut 1/4" deep around the outside but follow the contour of the top. I've tried 3 axis and 2 1/2. But now as I'm writing this I just realized maybe I can use the engraving function as well. I'll try that right now.

I figured it out, engraving again. I'm learning at an exponention rate, like the guy in Lawnmower Man. Sweet.