586,404 active members*
2,344 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: ramping

ramping

I am just doing a simple pocket and trying to ramp in the pocketing feature in V22. When I try to ramp down, the z-feed rate will not feed at the rate I programmed into the manual speed selection. Am I doing something wrong or something.
    Thanks,
    Bryan

The Z feed rate only applies when the X and Y are not changing. At least that is what seems to be happening. Since the ramp feature is a combination of either X or Y and Z, the feed rate for the ramp will be the programed feed rate.
    If this is not the way it is maybe someone will jump in and correct me.

question?

Orizaba,
    Well I run YG jet mills and lets say a 1/4"jet mill will run around 7800RPM and 50.IPM. I was running 1018CR and used the ramp functions for the 1st time. I had flood coolant on and at .125 deep then it's second run at .25 deep it snapped off. I figured it needed to slow down a bit ramping in. Do I need to make multiple steps ramping or manually slow the mill down ramping? I have always just made a pilot hole then slid my mills off in the drilled hole and then took off.

Quote Originally Posted by truefordlover1 View Post
    Orizaba,
    Well I run YG jet mills and lets say a 1/4"jet mill will run around 7800RPM and 50.IPM. I was running 1018CR and used the ramp functions for the 1st time. I had flood coolant on and at .125 deep then it's second run at .25 deep it snapped off. I figured it needed to slow down a bit ramping in. Do I need to make multiple steps ramping or manually slow the mill down ramping? I have always just made a pilot hole then slid my mills off in the drilled hole and then took off.
    I'm a beginner at this and don't know what a jet mill or 1018CR is. Wish I could help further. I think what I said about the feeds is correct. With a .25-4 flute carbide bit in aluminum I would usually feed at 18ipm, .060' deep 40% cut at 1200rpms and flood it. Having said that, I think our cutting conditions are very different.

Anwser

Orizaba,
    Thanks alot, I appreciate it and you are probably right. I will just keep on playing with it. If you would like to know what those things are, the 1/4" Jet Rough mill is a YG brand and Solid Carbide rough mill or finish mill with high speed mill capabilties. As for the 1018 CR, it is a grade of Carbon Steel and the CR stands for Cold Rold. Very mild piece of Steel. Thanks again.