586,449 active members*
3,439 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Hi guys

Hi guys

A quick question regarding a couple of codes for an Okuma MB56VA.

I've just returned to milling after a good few years turning. I'm using the above machine and just wanted to know if there is a code for:

1. Sending the tool to the home position in MDI
    2. Releasing the spindle in MDI

I've asked the guys at work and they don't know.

I'm just getting to grips with the IGF and so far it seems pretty good.

Oh that was the other question. When re-ordering the machining order, can the spindle be left on? I notice it stops as it moves to each block when using the same tool.

I have an mcv4020. I use a macro for this. It's linked to g112. It sends the z to the top of the travel, y to the back of the machine to get the head out of the way, x moves so the table is centered in the door, and the spindle is orientated. Works great and it's easy to stick in the cam system post so it calls at the end of a cycle.

What do you use for toolchange? are you using the g111 macro for that?

I'm new to macros but AFAIK it is just a straight M6 for the tool change.

The g111 and g112 are custom written macros for the machine you're using Edster. G100-G120 and M201-210 are commands that you can use to call up a subprogram. You write and save the subprogram in the machine memory then tie it to the G or M code you want to use via the parameters page G/M Code Macro.

1. Send machine to home position in MDI: G30 P1
    You can also change your Home Position 1 to include a Y axis move to the forward position so you can load/unload parts. This would be on your parameters page called Home Positions. There are actually a lot of home positions available, 32 if I recall correctly. These are all called up by G30 P** (** is 1-32). Also, you must choose a movement order, which is the next parameters page. A "0" means that axis doesn't move in that home position command, a "1" means it moves first, "2" second etc. On the MB-56VA you are usually safe to set Z as 1 and both X and Y as 2. This will cut down cycle time some as well. Remember if you add a Y axis move to position 1, you need to add the Y movement order and also it will make the table move to the forward position on every tool change. I would recommend instead copying the X and Z positions of Home Position 1 into the 2 values, add a Y value and command G30P2 at the end of your program.

2. Not sure on this one. Will look into it.-

The g112 is a custom macro that sends the machine to a second home position. It's a nice setup expecially how you can choose the order in which the axis move.

The g111 was an okuma macro. My cam software was spitting out g111's at toolchange and I asked the Apps guy about this. He sent me over the g111 macro form okuma. It fixed a couple of problems I was having. I had an alarm when calling a tool that's already in the spindle. And It allows for precalling the next tool.

Definately great machines, The more I use it the happier I am