586,485 active members*
2,498 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

boss 5 questions

I've just acquired what I'm pretty sure is a bp boss 5 (has a tape drive)and have a few questions:
    1. There is no board in the ERS slot. What does this ERS board do?, can I power up and have any function with the machine without it?, is it required to be in place to use a breakout board (so I can use original step drives and motors for pc control?)
    2. A label on the outside of the machine says it was 460v in...anyone have instructions on rewiring the transformer taps and whatever else needs changing for 230? (this may have been done already but nothing inside is labelled so I'm afraid to power it up until I know what voltage it is set up for/or convert it to 230v)
    3. Are there operations manual and schematics available on line for this somewhere?
    4 I've seen how to get production dates for the manual machines, but mine says cnc747 on the knee...any idea of the age?
    Ideally I'd like to get this up and running with its original control to see how well it works before I change over to PC control BOB...any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to cnc but have been doing a lot of reading!
    thanks
    tom
    See my stuff for sale at http://stores.ebay.com/Industrial-Tool-and-Machine-Works?refid=store

The ERS controls communication to the outside world by RS232 and 20ma current loop. It also has the BOSS operating system on it. Without it you have a great anchor.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

went to take another look and the labels on the cage were offset a bit, it is actually the IBX board that is missing, ers is present. So what does the IBX do and can the machine be run without it? (also k6, k8, and k10 are disconnected from ers, I know k10 should be disconnected to use serial comm, but should k6 and k8 be reconnected?)

sorry for the confusion...

t
    See my stuff for sale at http://stores.ebay.com/Industrial-Tool-and-Machine-Works?refid=store

IBX Board

Hi,
    I think that is some kind of a test point but it is definitely unused. On mine the only one unplugged is the K10 normally. I use a BTR system to DNC sometimes and then I think I have to plug that K10 in also. Mine is stock otherwise and I believe the serial number on it is 1425. Hope that helps.

Kevin

Regarding 230V vs. 460V, you may want to just pull the motor terminal cover and see if it is wired high or low voltage and go from there. If low voltage you will have 3 motor leads tied together (4,6,9 I think, my memory is not that reliable). The inside of the cover typically has the configurations indicated.

Besides the motor, there is also the 3 phase transformer for the drives and a single phase transformer for the 110VAC control circuit.
    Try machinemanuals.net for books on CDROM. But be aware I have heard stories of difficulty opening it and printing pages to take out to the machine.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Clarification on voltage

Suggestion on checking motor leads was to confirm its current setup just to get you started. If the motor is wired up low voltage, like you want, pretty safe bet someone has changed your transformers/ primary connections as well (meaning you can ignore the 460V data plate as aforementioned on the cabinet). So for clarification, Machintek is absolutely right (he consistently is), if it is still high voltage you will need to trace out the high voltage wiring and keep searching for manual/ wiring diagram.

Thanks for the info, darek was kind enough to provide schematics for all of the changes that were needed for 460 to 230, I did the spindle motor, 2 control transformers, drive triple transformer, new fuses for main input, and heaters for the spindle overload relay are coming. I hope thats all there is. Looking foward to seeing if this thing will actually work so I can install a BOB.
    There is an unmarked toggle switch on the rear of the spindle control box mounted on the head of the machine, any idea what that is for? Also a 2 position rotary switch facing the operator on the front of the left side cabinet...not marked either.

thanks to all

Tom

I am trying to upgrade from 230v to 460v at the shop on my Boss 5 CNC I have rewired the motor, I have rewired the T2 both for high voltage, I noticed that T1 is only single phase 125v could I not just pull this transformer and apply 120 to the output of transformer and let T6 T7 do their job, this should be ok, I do not see a way to tap T1 for 460 is there? and help quickly would be appreciated. Jim