586,385 active members*
3,273 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > Recommendation for Lathe Selection

Question Recommendation for Lathe Selection

Thinking about converting a smaller lathe (in the 9x20 size) to CNC. I have an old Clausing 1300 but would like to keep it as a manual second lathe. Have read about pros/cons of one's from HF (mostly con) and seek advice on which lathe would most recommend for project. My experience with CNC is conversion of RF-31 mill/drill using servos and Mach3. Any input appreciated.

I just bought a enco 9x20 lathe to use for just a grooving lathe got it home and was pretty surprised how nice it is. It works great I did put it to the test and put a six inch round piece of aluminum in it and took .03 off the outside and the lathe did it. I was surprised ut it did it with a nice finish so I myself underestimated these small lathes. It has a little play in the handles but am sure it could be delt with if needed. Enco makes a good little lathe.

I am just finishing the conversion of a 9x30 Lathemaster for my son, they are built pretty good for a R.O.C. machine.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

This one is a good candidate:

http://grizzly.com/products/10-x-22-...al-Lathe/G0602

CR.

Thanks for the replies. I'll take a look at each as I do my research. I'm also reading the 9x20yahoogroup. Thanks again.

I have a 9x20 that I have started converting to cnc ( don't have the spindle encoder done yet), but it is producing products. However, if I were to buy a new small machine today I would definitely choose the Grizzly 10x22 over the 9x20.

I also have a HF12x36 and I often find myself choosing to run a job on the 9x20 rather than the 12x36. I actually get a better finish on the parts cut with the 9x20 than the 12x36. But it took several years before I got the 9x20 tuned to where that was true. I was really reluctant to mess with the spindle, but once I fixed the preload on the spindle bearings the difference in the cuts was like night and day. The 12x36 is still factory stock and I think I could tune it up better too, if I had the time.

Good luck,
    Alan

Link to bob's machine and a bunch of other stuff too

http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCLatheCNCHome.htm

archie =) =) =)