586,331 active members*
4,446 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 6 123

Exclamation Xylotex board help

I could have gone too the Xylotex boards but figured most guys here are running or have a Xylotex board on a Taig or similar machine. I have the 3-axis system with a 24 volt power supply, C11 BreakBoard board and running three Keling KL23H276-30-8B motors.

So i'm trying too set-up everything and get it tweaked in EMC.

Pretty much, my goal is too obtain 30 IPM. So in EMC I set the velocity too .5 which would be 30 IPM.

I have the potentiometers on the Xylotex board too around 2.80 volts, which means that it would put out around 2.1 amps which is the amp rating for my steppers.

I also have a stock setting on all axis of 1/8th microstepping, using a 1:1 ratio pulley set-up; 20 TPI thread on all axis.

When I jog in EMC, the view shows it going the speed, but I know for a fact that it's not true and up too speed. I know i'm not hitting 5 or 7 or 30 IPM. I'm going very slow and can't figure out why.

My power supply is on full too and everything is good. Can anyone help me please?

-Jason

So I can't figure out how too get the speed too be true. Is it something with my microstepping? Should it be more then 1/8th? I'm not sure whats going on.

-Jason

Not an EMC-guy myself , but what about your drive screws? Pitch (Threads per inch), number of starts, diameter? All "force" the ipm and resolution of your system. Are they set right -- and can they give you 30 ipm? Fewer steps should be faster -- at the penalty of resolution.
    Sorry - can't shed more info for you.
    :cheers: Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

I have 20 TPI @ .5 in diameter I think....

I don't know if this is normal or not, but when my boards are at 1/8th micro stepping. But in EMC when I put .125 for the microstepping, the system is so so so so slow. When I put a higher number like 5.0 I start getting much faster!

So yea, I don't know if I'm on the right track. But I'm pretty convinced I can reach 30 IPM.

-Jason

Perhaps you need to put 8 in for 1/8 step, as in 8 microsteps per step. Sorry, not an EMC user.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I have the same setup as you just no c11 board. As ger said you need to put in 8 for the micro steps. Also you should know that if your acceleration doesnt accelerate fast enough the machine might not reach top speed before it reaches the end of the desired direction. Hope it helps you out.

Ok! So i'm on the right track. I put in 8 today earlier and was getting much higher speeds. I want my speed too be around 30 IPM. I will need too mess with the acceleration because I'm losing steps it seems. I don't think I should be losing steps though, I mean 30 IPM is not that far from being possible.

Maybe just some more tweaking. Do you agree Regnar?

-Jason

Ok so, 8 microstepping is working.

But I'm losing steps even at 19 IPM. I really thought I could be going higher, shouldn't I be? The only thing I can think of is, power supply even though at 24 volt / 6 amps it's not giving enough.

But will going too 30 help that much more?

I just feel like I should be able too obtain more then 20 without skipping.

-Jason

Hi Jason,

Let's see you have 8 * 200 * 20 = 32000 step signals per inch. So (32000steps/in x 19ipm) / 60sec/min = 10,133 steps per second at 19 ipm or (32000steps/in x 30ipm)/60sec/min = 16000 steps per second at 30 ipm. I don't know what the maximum steps per second that you pc can generate.

Then lets look at rpm. 19 ipm x 20tpi = 380rpm and 30ipm x 20tpi = 600rpm. So if you don't have resonance dampers on you stepper motors it is possible that you have hit a resonance problem.

The other possibility is a power supply limitation. That may just be the limit of what you can get with 24volts. I am running a 32volt supply with about 15 amps and different drivers (not necessarily better). On my lathe I have pac sci P22 steppers and on the z axis I can easily hit 75ipm with a 5 tpi ballscrew but on the x axis with a 20 tpi screw and a 4:1 reduction belt drive I get only 8ipm. With direct connection that should give 32ipm at the same motor rpm. (I don't have resonance dampers so my stepper/drive combination seems to max out about 600 rpm).

I hope this helps.

Alan

Acon- Yea it makes sense. I still feel the computer is capable. It's an older HP but everything on the comp is strictly for EMC. Nothing else is on it, no music or anything. It's possible though.

Here is what I noticed. On this new system, (New board I mean) I'm using the 24 volt @ 6 amp PS. Ok, so as of now....It seems like I can only get maybe 15 IPM (Thats a rough estimate) Because at 19 IPM I start skipping, so lets say 15 IPM.

My old system (From ebay) with a output of "ONLY" 9 VDC @ 17.0 Amps gave me a jogging speed of 12 inches a min with no Skips. I would start skipping in programs running higher then 7 on rapids.

But even if I only obtain 3 -8 more IPM almost doesn't seem worth it.

So there is something tricky going on. One PS with 9 VDC @ 17 amps jogging at 12 IPm and 24 volt @ 6 amps only getting around consistent 15 IPm.

Sound weird???

-Jason

After reading where your at Jason, I think we need to remove the microstepping. At the very leat move it to either 1/4 or 1/2 microsteps. When I had problems with the Z axis missing steps, I moved it to 1/4 and that solved the problem before the counter wieght.

That was the same setup you have +1 axis on a SX3 with a 100lb head. And I could make it move up at 15ipm.

The only difference between what I have and you are the motors and the leadscrews and EMC2. Mine were .200 pitch (1/5") I was getting 30 very easily. I was using Mach3 and the 425oz motors.

I have heard that the Xylotex boards did not compensate for resonance damping. Maybe building a damper would help you out for the axis. Are your steppers dual shaft?

Yes the motors are dual shaft. So that requires the actual board settings too be changed. I couldn't find any information on the microstepping in the manual. There is a PDF but it leads too nothing with no explanation.

I assume it's the jumpers behind each heatsink. It has too be. Hopefully this will increase speed.

-Jason

Something else I noticed. I also noticed with my set-up now...Once everything is powered up. The motors seem too buzz louder. They don't move when everything is idle. But not like before, they seem too buzz a little louder now. Don't know if this means anything.

-Jason

Here is the PDF for the Micro stepping.

http://www.xylotex.com/StepSetting.pdf

Also, in the Xylotex manual, there is a "Microstep Truth Chart" at the bottom left of the first page.

Also here is the FAQ page about the driver.

http://www.xylotex.com/FAQ.htm

I have already created a g-code file for a dampener, I have been meaning to make some just to play around. I could get a couple made and send them to you if we can't get this solved.

Oh duh! I looked at that and thought they were links. I never thought they were charts for the freaking jumpers lol!

-Jason

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedsCustom View Post
    Something else I noticed. I also noticed with my set-up now...Once everything is powered up. The motors seem too buzz louder. They don't move when everything is idle. But not like before, they seem too buzz a little louder now. Don't know if this means anything.

-Jason

That should be because the higher voltage. Mine do that on the Gecko's as well.

Here is a tidbit from the Faq. The 269 oz motors he has are close to what you have in spec.

Here is what it says
    "
    17) What RPM can I get with your motors
    There is no real RPM rating for the motors. Unloaded they will spin very fast. All stepper motors loose torque as they go faster, and will have more torque at lower speeds. Your actual traverse rate in IPM (inches per minute) will depend on the mass and friction of the machine. Cutting rate will also depend on cutter sharpness, width and depth of cut, spindle speed, hardness of material, etc. When using 10 TPI screws with the 269's you can get between 50 and 75 IPM. When using the 425's you will get around a max. of 50 IPM, but with more lower speed torque. If you have 5 tpi screws, then you are better off with the 425's. With the 425's and 5 tpi screws on a smooth running machine you can get over 100 IPM. Your actual rapid speed will depend on the screws being used and the motor selected (as well as the dynamic of the actual machine).
    "

Yea but with 20 TPI, I should still be able too hit between 25-45 if for 10 TPI it's 50-75. I wonder if you can change the screws for the taig, but then again. More work then I think is needed.

-Jason

Exactly, that was my point. There is something else that is the problem here. Have you looked at the microstepping settings yet?

Ok. I didn't have much time too mess with it. I'm not sure by the diagrams where the jumper needs too be placed. And for instance. Since I was using 1/8 microstepping in EMC and was using the number "8", Does that means for say the 1/2 microstepping: I use 16...Make sense?

-Jason

Page 1 of 6 123