586,493 active members*
1,625 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Stepper Motor Short circuit??

Stepper Motor Short circuit??

I have a cnc machine with this motor..(STP-MTR-23079) from automation direct. Its a NEMA23, Bipolar.
    The gecko drive died. I replaced the gecko drive controller and now the fuse from the power supply to the gecko for this motor blows only with the motor connected. If I disconnect the motor and power up the system the fuse does not blow. If I connect an older motor that was replaced previously the fuse (5amp ceramic) still does not blow.
    Is there a way to check this newer motor for an internal short with a multi-meter? I wonder if something to it when the gecko blew; or is this motor what killed the old gecko drive.....

Thanks in advance!
    Dennis

Exclamation Ohms rules.

Each winding should have a similar resistance. Spec sheets should give value.
    There should be no measurable continuity between the two windings or to the frame of the motor.
    If you you don't have 2 isolated windings of similar resistance find another motor.
    Notice how using the correct size fuse protected the electronics.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.