586,792 active members*
2,540 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Ever drank coolant?

So there I am in front of my mill running the first pass on a complicated pocket. Dry run seems ok with Z about 10mm away from the part.

All ok... rack down to just off the surface and turn the coolant on just in case and run again at 20% feedrate peering intently through my safety glasses with my hand on the E-Stop to be sure.

Not noticing that the drain on the left hand side of the table is blocked and although most of the coolant is tripping over the edge into the tray below... little drips of coolant are falling into my cofee cup. Dun, dun, dunn *scary music*

All ok! Dry run was ok, skim touch was ok.. lt's relax and go for a 0.1 cut. Adjust Z, press the big green button, relax and take a well deserved gulp of coffee.

Arghhhh!

Rocol Multisol coolant tastes horrible lol *spits*

Might be better with whisky though, then again, maybe not lol *spit, spits*
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

I didn't get it with coffee, it was straight out of the machine; a face full and mouth full when I opened the door with a coolant nozzle pointing straight at it. Tastes horrible!
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Ewwagh! that sound horrible!

Here... perhaps there's a market oportunity in this. Strawbery flavoured coolant! with multivitamins cos all us engineers have never seen daylight and our skin has the palour of grey parchment.

Could even include moisurisers for that "skin so soft" look!

"CarexSol, the caring coolant... why should tooling get all the care".
    *insert lulaby music and fade to sandy beach with a hot chick and a puppy*

lol, I've been breathing too much acetone.

Personally, I prefer Grand Marnier (can't spell it, but tastes good anyway) in my coffee. Maybe you should switch to Jojoba (Hohoba) bean oil based coolant. Then if you drink it you wll not require any "stool softener". lol

Dick Z
    DZASTR

Soluable oil from NAPA leaves a bad after taste.

Ever had botulism?
    I seem to remember using vegetable based coolant, or at least something organic. (Never was much on reading material data sheets) Had to dump anti-bacterial into it on a regular basis. The thought of drinking it.....eeks.

How about drinking anti-freeze? Or engine coolant or whatever people in warmer climates call it? Dry and sweet like some horrible type of red wine. Most mechanics have probably sampled it.
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Anti freeze is toxic- it will kill you or at least cause blindness and liver/ kidney failure.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...icle807097.ece

Quote Originally Posted by cyclestart View Post
    .....How about drinking anti-freeze? Or engine coolant or whatever people in warmer climates call it? Dry and sweet like some horrible type of red wine. Most mechanics have probably sampled it.
    As mentioned antifreeze is toxic, that is the common ethylene glycol antifreeze used for motor vehicles. It is also a nasty way to go because it causes liver and kidney faikure so you do not die quickly.

Propylene glycol antifreeze is not toxic, not in the same manner but it is still not a good idea to drink it. Propylene glycol antifreeze is what is recommended for some spindle cooling systems on CNC machines and is use in food cooling systems.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

not personally, but saw a coworker running an old bridgeport tracer mill
    had a plastic mountain dew bottle full of nasty old school coolant.
    you probably guessed what he did, when he did it he took the bottle
    away from his mouth "never closed it" and leaned forward LOL!.
    btw this stuff was pure nasty, out of the tank of an ald turret lathe
    that had sat for months.

still makes me laugh, totally gross coolant.
    "those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither" Benjamin Franklin

I prefer Irish Cream flavored coolant with my coffee.

I think we all have some good stories. My best was a good one. We replaced the main coolant line in to the spindle head, all was done just need to see if it leaks. I hover over the tank and pump say ON and well the main connection decided to come off. I got hit in the chest then the face then everywhere else (kind of like my friend below). My help shut it off and came around back just in time to see me spit out my mouth full of coolant. I was just lucky my fiancee was on her way to work and she brought me a change or clothing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 080329_black210.jpg  
    I'm not lazy..., I'm efficient!
    HAAS GR-408

Nickelodeon slime probably tastes waaaay better than rancid coolant. Just ask Jack Black!

Brian

Many times doing an initial run on my sl-3[h] I take a really good shot chest high but I get over it.
    Keep your saftey glasses on yo!

Haas SL 20 + High Pressure Collent Pump + Plus Not Coolant Nossle

In about second that the coolant was on, I got absolutely blasted!

I just hit the reset button and just stood thier and took it all in!

So this isn't a drank coolant story but it happened yesterday and no that I can look back its worth a laugh.
    So let me set up the scene for you I was programing on a haas VF-2 and the way they are if the doors are open I can sit on the ledge and be at comfortable height to type. So I am sitting there typing away finish the section go to graph mode run it.... looks off so I push single block, or so I thought, I run it again but it goes all the way threw no single block? then my back gets wet. Now for anyone who knows a Haas control single block is just above the coolant on button. I missed one and hit the other, nothing a clean shop coat couldn't fix.
    HAAS GR-408

Smile When I started out....

My dad was a backyard mechanic, and it was pretty common to syphon gas from one car to put in another, especially when you needed gas from a car to put in a toy like a 3-wheeler etc.

Well my first shop I was in, coolant pumps would loose their prime alot, and what would a guy do, suck coolant thru the pump to get it primed.

Well let me tell ya, it's way easier to suck coolant thru a big hole then a little garden hose in a gas tank.

Yes, once I got a mouth full and it was horrible, it was the last time I did that...

And the dreaded proving a program out and trying to catch the coolant line when stepping through so you don't get a face full, Block Skip/Block Delete. Put it in front of your M8, it works wonderfully. I have actually edited our MasterCam posts so it automatically puts a Block Skip/Block Delete everytime it spits out an M8. Saves alot of forgetfulness.

Mike in MN

Mike in MN
    www.cncbasics.com

Blasocut and Syntillo are both horrible-tasting coolants, especially during involuntary shower.

Quote Originally Posted by vlmarshall View Post
    Blasocut and Syntillo are both horrible-tasting coolants, especially during involuntary shower.
    Your post leads me to believe there is a good tasting coolant
    or maybe we need to make one :idea:
    HAAS GR-408

I was cutting Zeonex plastic- apparently you can't use hydrocarbon based coolant (melts the surface) so I thought I'd use Ethanol. Well, I got to thinking that spray misting ethanol all over my lab wasn't gonna be really good from a safety point of view so decided to mix it 50/50% with de-ionised water.

50% ethanol and 50% water is basicaly 100 degree proof vodka lol the lab stunk like a brewery

Back in the day I had a friend that used to drink the oil out of the Davenports(screw machines) we ran just to freak people out. Also seen him drink solvent(mineral spirits) and coolant and eat a few parts here and there and chew up a thin razor blade. The boy was out there, many thought he was a stupid human being. But he moved on to become a mechanical engineer and cnc programmer for an aircraft manufacturer and still going to RIT for something. Oh, the worst thing I ever saw him drink, which was freakin nasty, was another coworker, walks up and spits in his cup of whatever he was drinking. He just looked at it, looked back at the spitter who was sitting there smugly and thinking he won, picks up the cup and took a swig..That was bad, real.

Wow, making me miss the good old days thinking about this. Well, other than the screw machine part of those days.

Page 1 of 2 12