586,395 active members*
2,805 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Fanuc 6M: Converting paper tape to computer file

Fanuc 6M: Converting paper tape to computer file

I need to convert a paper tape into a computer file so that I can later load it via RS232 and also so I can print it out.

Due to a settings problem, I cannot do this in the normal way by loading the tape into the machine's memory and then downloading the memory to the computer via RS232.

Is there a way to run the tape reader in manual mode and dump the output directly to the RS232 port for capture on the computer?

If not, is there anyone who can convert my tape to a file for a fee?

Thank you,
    PhoenixMetal

Wow ancient history. Good luck finding someone.

Some time ago, I put together a Fanuc reader and built a RS232 interface from a old USART chip, the reader is parallel data, so it has to be converted to serial for RS232.
    I believe I still have it somewhere.
    Is this a parameter Tape?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Some time ago, I put together a Fanuc reader and built a RS232 interface from a old USART chip, the reader is parallel data, so it has to be converted to serial for RS232.
    I believe I still have it somewhere.
    Is this a parameter Tape?
    Al.
    Hi Al, wow that's really great if you could dig that thing up. Yes you are correct - it is a parameter tape. If you can find the device, the please give me a price and I'm sure we can work together. Thank you!

I have dug it out, later today I will make sure it still works by running a tape through.
    Al.

Albert E.

Question How long is it?

If the tape is fairly short, you could hand decode it. A bit painful but doable.
    I have a PTR and punch, with RS232 but I am a long way away. Sending an important irreplaceable tape is a high risk due to loss or damage.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Hi neilw20, the tape is quite long so hand-decoding would be quite tedious and error-prone. I see you are in Australia - wow,that is is quite a ways away, so perhaps sending it there is a greater risk than within the US or Canada... Thank you though!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixMetal View Post
    Hi neilw20, the tape is quite long so hand-decoding would be quite tedious and error-prone. I see you are in Australia - wow,that is is quite a ways away, so perhaps sending it there is a greater risk than within the US or Canada... Thank you though!
    You can't get much further away than NY. ! What sort of machine is this on?
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

The tape is for a Wiedemann Centrum 1000 Turret Punch Press with a Fanuc 6M control.

I have it tested, I ran a Fanuc 0 tape through that ended up at 4K+.
    If you want to Pm me I can give you an address to send to.
    Al.

Albert E.

If this parameter tape has been loaded into the control, why not just punch out the parameters through the 6Ms serial port. To do that, display the parameter page, put the control in EDIT mode, then press "P-9999" then PUNCH. This would give you an accurate backup of the parameters that are in the CNCs memory, which may be a bit different than what's on that tape.

You can connect a Fanuc parallel tape reader directly to a PCs parallel port and read in a tape, but that would require a special cable and special software for the PC. Al_the_man's serial adapter may be a much easier solution.

Hi Dan,

The reason I am not simply punching out the parameters that are already saved on the CNC is because Wiedemann thinks that some of the parameters have been corrupted. That is why I want a fresh load of the parameters from the original tape.

I have no problem making a custom cable, and maybe I'll have to go down that route, but first I would like to see what can be done with Al_The_Man's solution.