586,283 active members*
3,594 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Newbie

Hi Everyone,
    Just joined this site. Totally new to CNC. I live in Rowville. I have just purchased a used Multicam series IIIS router machine with 5.5hp spindle. Looking forward to putting it through its paces. Have run a few simple jobs. I still get scared of forgetting to set one of the parameters when doing a tool change etc. in case I crash the tool into the bed. Guess that will change with practice. This is a great site with an abundance of info. Hope to talk with some of you soon.

Cheers,
    Chris

Hi Chris. Welcome to the Zone!

I look forward to hearing more from you.

CR.

Thanks

Hi Crevice,
    Thanks for the post. Hopefully I can find somebody in my area to give me some pointers. I have no problem actually running the machine it's just the best way to go about drawing and layout that I am interested in. I have been a metal machinist for 20 years and wanted to get into some sort of CNC. The router seemed like a good option since they can be used for so many applications. I could stand and watch this thing run all day!!

Which part of the US are you from. Do you run a router too? Sorry if you have answered these already somewhere in the forum, I find this place a little difficult to navigate since this is the first time I have been on a site such as this.

Cheers,
    Chris

Hi Chris. I'm in Pennsylvania. I do Steel, not wood, but find the vast diversity of cnc routers fascinating. Can you give us some pics of your new acquisition?

CR.

Pics

Hi Crevice,
    Sure, I will take some snaps tonight and send them through. I don't have a atomiser for coolant on my machine yet so I cannot do aluminium and the like. The company wants $2000 buck for the atomiser attachment. Maybe one day. I have a King Rich milling machine and Colchester lathe already for metal.

Talk soon.
    Cheers,
    Chris

Router

Hi Crevice,
    Forgot to ask. What type of things do you make in metal? I take it you are running a CNC router also? What make?

Cheers,
    Chris

I do small steel parts. I have a DIY CNCd Grizzly SX3. No Router. (well, no CNC router.) I haven't finished the enclosure yet, so I don't have my flood cooling either.

CR.

So your building your own? What is a CNCd Grizzly SX3. Would also like to see some piccies if you have any.

I would like to post a pic, but this forum tells me my pic is too large and I don't know how to make it work.

CR.

I'll try to post an attachment. Ok, looks like it worked. This is a Milling Station in progress.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_2956_edited.jpg  

Machine Pics

Hi Crevice,
    Neat machine you have there. Are you a watchmaker by trade? You must be doing small work on the mill? Here are a few snaps of my machine.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Router 001.jpg   Router 002.jpg   Router 003.jpg   Router 004.jpg  

Looking Good

Chris, Nice machine that you have there.

Great machine to start with in your new found cnc router endevours.

Have a look at the commercial wood router section in the forums. Lots of info and assistance for you there.

Welcome to the cnczone.

Rocket.

Hey thanks Rocket. Appreciate the info.