586,144 active members*
3,525 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Pro's and con's buying 1996 HAAS VMC

Pro's and con's buying 1996 HAAS VMC

I have the opportunity to purchase a 96 HAAS VF-4 that's in very nice condition.

50” X 20” X 25” -#40 TAPER – 7500 RPM ..

This would be used in a new fabrication shop just starting up. A smaller shop that's mostly powerdercoating and welding but will be doing more and more machining as time goes on. We figured this might be a good starter machine and eventually once demand goes up, we get something newer to meet requirements.

Any pro's con's going with something like this?

Thanks,

DJN

Quote Originally Posted by djnbig View Post
    I have the opportunity to purchase a 96 HAAS VF-4 that's in very nice condition.

50” X 20” X 25” -#40 TAPER – 7500 RPM ..

This would be used in a new fabrication shop just starting up. A smaller shop that's mostly powerdercoating and welding but will be doing more and more machining as time goes on. We figured this might be a good starter machine and eventually once demand goes up, we get something newer to meet requirements.

Any pro's con's going with something like this?

Thanks,

DJN
    The only con I can think of is no warranty if something goes wrong, but if the price is right and the machine is in really good condition then I say the pros outweigh the cons. I would find out how many hours are on the machine, and if it's ever been crashed. Any maintenance and repair records would also be useful. Hope this helps.

(The only con I can think of is no warranty if something goes wrong, but if the price is right and the machine is in really good condition then I say the pros outweigh the cons. I would find out how many hours are on the machine, and if it's ever been crashed. Any maintenance and repair records would also be useful. Hope this helps.)

The only thing I would add would be to have a service tech look over the machine,they would know what to look for.Yeah will cost you a little money but it could save you a lot of money!
    Just push the button,what's the worst that could happen.

I think if the machine is in good shape it will improve your operations 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stevenson View Post
    I think if the machine is in good shape it will improve your operations 100%.
    Having done the transition from all manual machines to all CNC machines I can say in my experience you are way out; try 300% in the first three or four years, and now that we have refined fixturing and machine types and placement something between 800 and 1200% on some components.

djnbig;

Provided the price is right it is probably a good purchase. I have a Haas lathe that is older than that which has given stellar service and a 2000 VF0 which has also been very good.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Geof,

I agree but I was trying to be humble. Not an easy task.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stevenson View Post
    Geof,

I agree but I was trying to be humble. Not an easy task.
    Do you suffer the same failing as me? An excessive tendency to modesty.

I do.

thanks guys..

if it did end up needing service work or minor/major repairs, would most local shops that offer service be able to figure out the haas? im not too sure as to the similarities between various vendor internals.. my guess is yes provided i ordered haas parts. ive checked around and have found no local haas certified shops.

the price on the machine is 32,000 obo.

djn

Quote Originally Posted by djnbig View Post
    .....Ive checked around and have found no local haas certified shops.

the price on the machine is 32,000 obo.

djn
    Thomas Skinner & Son are the Haas dealer in BC and Alberta.