587,051 active members*
3,844 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Looking for a boring bar that can chamfer OD & ID - single op

Looking for a boring bar that can chamfer OD & ID - single op

Background: I'm running a Mori SL2 Lathe and need to chamfer the ID and OD of a tubing shell. It's a simple op but tool changes take too long just to switch from a turning tool to a boring bar. I started doing some looking and I found a boring bar on MSC (http://www.msc-direct.com page 854 of the master catalog) which allows a single tool to do all in one op. Obviously this type of tool exists. My question is if anyone else here knows of other sources or specific tools to try to do this operation. I do need the tool to have a max boring diameter of .75 to get inside the shell.

TIA. Matt

I don't know about the boring bar you are referring to, but I have done OD chamfers by throwing the machine into reverse and using the boring bar.

You need to get creative with you X coordinates because you are working past center, also you need enough X travel.

It does save the tool change time but on a big machine the spindle stops and starts so slowly you might just as well do the tool change.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

We have some tooling like you are looking for, all home made,But it's not that hard to make if you want.If you have the room with your borring bar you can make a coller that is at the back of it that is held in place with a set screw or two. the coller is big enough for you to mill a seat for a tool that can be replaced when need be.What you then end up with is a borring bar with a chamfering coller,in other words when you bore out your part,then you can go just a little farther and chamfer the od,you can chamfer the id before borring.
    I looked for an example of what I'm desribeing on msc,(they make these for all in one holder and borring head for vmc-hmc-look under vallinite).
    What it amounts to is having two tools on your borring bar,one on the tip and one on the back end,if that makes sence.
    Just push the button,what's the worst that could happen.