587,036 active members*
2,983 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > My first home made Way cover (bellows)

Threaded View

My first home made Way cover (bellows)

I had an issue with the crappy way cover that came with my Hurco T-m5 CNC bedmill. It would always bind and the design was just poor from the start. The original cover was a design that would tilt up as it came towards the table and any chip could easily get under it and mess up the ways or the ball screw. I threw it away as it was all bent up and was not what I wanted on the mill. I called Gortite a while back and almost had a heart attack at the price they wanted to make a bellows cover for me. So I searched around the net trying to see how these were made. I came across this website http://www.ixen-cnc.com/2007/10/lead...line-mill.html

They have a video and a template that you can download to make a cover for your sherline.

I basically scaled it up and added an extra section so my cover would cover under my box ways.

I went to the local Fabricland and bought Denim 10oz 100% cotton
    I laid out my pattern with a ball point pen then gave 2 coats of Polyurethane spar marine varnish, as it's suppose to be very resistant to petroleum. Coating the denim with the varnish first makes it easier to fold on the lines and it keeps its memory without having to iron it. After all the folds were made I used CA glue (crazy glue) with the kicker accelerant on all the folds so it would hold it's memory better and be a little more rigid. It turned out well. I'm going to paint it either black or silver high temp. I just need to make a metal bracket to hold the bellows in place. I will try to post a video of it in action soon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.JPG   2.JPG   3.JPG   4.JPG  

5.JPG   6.JPG